MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before but what is the average life of the rear tyres on the tourers, both my rear tyres are nearly down the treadwear indicators after only 16k miles :(.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi

My Continental tyres on a ZTT Diesel auto lasted 19k almost the same as the fronts ,thought they may last a bit longer. But the Zeds do tend to use their tyres due to the set up and good grip, means you do go around corners that bit quicker due to confidence in the car. Still pretty happy with tyre wear though my last 5 Series used to eat back tyres by about 9k , so pretty chuffed with anything over 15k

·
Registered
272 Posts
My rears wore out quicker than the fronts, replaced at 19000, and less worn fronts on rear, now at 24000, the rears are just about on the limit. Hope to get replaced this week.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Yes my rear tyres have worn out after 18,000 miles on the rear - the fronts still had a little bit of life on them - probably would have lasted until 20,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
428 Posts
after only 16k miles :(.[/quote]

The tyres are the same as on the Renault Laguna.... my brothers laguna eats them up in 12k miles and he drives like my grandad. his last change of tyres he swapped to michelins.... waiting to see how many he has got out of those.... my ZT-T CDTi has currentl done 16k on the first set and still counting....... maybe I should spray them all over with sillicone to reduce the friction? only kidding .... honest. J

·
Registered
35 Posts
My rears lasted 18,500 miles (Michelin Pilot Sports) on my ZTT 190. The fronts are just about in need of replacement at 21,700 miles.

On both rear and front, the nearside has worn quicker. Is this normal? or should I have the alignment checked?

I understand the local ex-MGR dealer in Colchester, Essex is now charging £170.00 for the 4-wheel laser alignment!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 18 inch Contisports on my ZT-T were all worn out out 16 000. I normally get twice that from my tyres. From reading these forums it seems the 18 inch tyres wear far more quickly than the smaller diameter ones. Must be due to a more sports-biased, softer compound.

I've changed to Pirelli Rossos in the hope they last a bit longer. Their performance is good but it's too early to comment on wear. I paid £520 for four fitted and balanced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Monte Carlo said:
My rears lasted 18,500 miles (Michelin Pilot Sports) on my ZTT 190. The fronts are just about in need of replacement at 21,700 miles.

On both rear and front, the nearside has worn quicker. Is this normal? or should I have the alignment checked?

I understand the local ex-MGR dealer in Colchester, Essex is now charging £170.00 for the 4-wheel laser alignment!!
Funny you should say that as its my N/S/R that has worn a bit more than the N/S one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got 21k out of both front & rear on my ZT-T 190 on Conti sports but I understand that on some cars the rear tracking may be out ( as supplied by the factory) so are your tyres wearing evenly across the width if you ar not getting near the 20k mark ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Monte carlo and CFS75 we must be practically neighbours, I was concerned with mine and took to Shepherd Racing on severalls ind est, I can thoroughly recommend them, they spent ages trying to sort out and made numerous calls, charged about £70, and rechecked later for free. It seems that due to soft grippy nature of tyres they do wear quicker than normal, so about 18-20,000 is good (although have just changed atyre at 24,000 today). As they explained the tyres are ZR rated which is 186mph, if you are doing 186mph fully laden and you're approaching a bend, you need something made of grippy rubber rather than silicon! Since they explained that I must admit I normally slow down to well below 160mph in plenty of time for bends!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used Shepherds before with my previous cars and was always happy with their work and felt they were good value for money. I bought my ZTT (one of the two Trophy blue ZTTs that I have seen in Colchester) in May 2004 and had the first years service done at Lindhill in May 2005. Its 2nd year service is now overdue and I may contact Sheppards now that I hear you have taken your ZTT there.

What service did they do on your ZTT and were you satisfied that they had all the necessary equipment? Can you clarify the charge of £70 was just for the 4-wheel alignment?

I understood, Tolleys is likely to become an Xpart Autoservice Centre for MGR cars and I have been waiting for official confirmation.

btw CFS75 is my father whom I now hold responsible for getting me hooked on this site! He tells me that some posts have been deleted from this thread and we are not sure why.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Monte Carlo,

I bought my ZT-T last July from Jones of Rayne, and had the first service done there at 13500 miles, I noticed the rears were wearing fast, and asked them to look at during the service, they did'nt though saying that it would need new tyres soon and would need doing again then !

Thats when I took to shepherds who have always been fair with other cars I've had. Not sure what equipment they have but they seem very knowledgeable in terms of suspension settings. I took back after another couple of thousand miles as the tyres were still wearing fast, they checked (foc) but all was ok, so I expect simply due to the by then "mis-shapen" tyres simply carrying on wearing. They spent a lot of time on the phone to various contacts, and all seemed to think 20,000miles was good for a set of z rated tyres. We came to the conclusion that the rears are set up for stability sacrificing wear to achieve it.

In all the time both myself and my dad who has a 620 has dealt with them they have always been totally trustworthy, and the work has always been 1st class, basically now, if they say the car needs work doing, within reason I would trust them, possibly not always the cheapest, but for a few pounds I would rather the job was done properly.

The tracking work was about £70. Mind you the amount of time they spent on mine they may not be too keen to do more !!

I'll be due another service in the next month or so, but may take back to Jones, purely as it's still under a warrranty from them, and anything will be easier to claim, alternatively may get shepherds to give it a good going over?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Advertising is against forum rules unless you are a subscriber. That is why certain posts have been deleted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
At 15k my rear tyres seem hardly worn and the fronts around half worn, which is what I expect on a large FWD car. How can the rear tyres wear out first !

·
Registered
272 Posts
"At 15k my rear tyres seem hardly worn and the fronts around half worn, which is what I expect on a large FWD car. How can the rear tyres wear out first !"

John , exactly my thoughts, but it seems the soft nature of the tyres on the ZT-T and the fact they seem to have built in some degree of toe-in for stability seems to explain it.

Has anyone been able to get decent mileage out of rear tyres on a ZT-T?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IanRobertson said:
Advertising is against forum rules unless you are a subscriber. That is why certain posts have been deleted.
I was not advertising only trying to help a fellow member out, all details of my place of work etc was done by PM.

Anyway now got a pair of new Conti's fitted to the rear for £132 each.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts