MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed any light on this issue please -

The problem with the air-con seems to be that the pump is overheating and melting the bushes on the pulley. The garage are a bit stumped as to why this is happening, so I'd welcome any pointers I can give them! The pump has been replaced once, and was working on another car before being fitted to mine.

It's been suggested that there may be too much oil in the pump, but this is unlikely as it was working OK previously.

Any ideas ??

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would get the pressure and amount checked, because it can kill the compressor/Pump.
Maybe even ruin the capilary tube(The thin one) by filling it with oil, instead of R134A( The Cooling gas), and if the oil gets stuck, the pump/compressor can get stuck and then get hot, maybe even begin to knock( sounds like a old air compressor).

Hope the answer can help you, Just PM me, if you want more info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The oil doesnt just stay in the pump. It is in the system mixed with the refridgerant. It is important to vacuum it all out and start again each time so that the exact amount of the right kind of oil goes in with the right amount of refridgerant. The vacuum process also boils off any moisture that might be in the system. The receiver drier needs to be good also as any moisture in can freezes and block the system.

Sounds like you need a proper aircon man to look at it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The 260 is a pain in the arse for diagnosing as its not using a familiar engine type. Have you tried asking round on Ford Mustang sites or something to see if they know?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies, I'll pass that info on.

Is it the same system as a Mustang? I always thought it was a hacked version of the standard ZT system.

Problem is that it has to be done by the garage as that's where the warranty is.

Cheers

Justin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts