MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all I posted about this a while ago but the only response i got was to call a bomb squad.. anyway I recorded the tapping noise this time so maybe I can get a better diagnosis. Its a V6 2.5L 2002 ZT 180 with 122,000km (trophy blue, naturally).

The tapping sound is NOT coming from the top of the engine near the manifold... It sounds like its coming from underneath the engine, when I recorded this I put the mic behind the front wheel which is where it is most audible. You can barely hear it with the hood up looking down on the engine.

Ok heres the tapping sound: I move in closer as it goes so it will get louder...
http://www.ridehustle.com/mgrover/tapping.MP3

I've also noticed theres a fair bit of water coming out of the exhaust, is this normal? its an average day here in Australia.. about 25c.

I recorded the sound from the exhaust just for kicks... dont know if that noise it makes is normal either, could be the water doing it? It's like a popping noise... kinda cool actually
http://www.ridehustle.com/mgrover/exhaustrev.MP3

Heres the sound of the engine from the front:
http://www.ridehustle.com/mgrover/frontrev.MP3

The car drives fine as it is, it's not causing me any trouble..except sometimes putting the foot to the floor does nothing but slow acceleration, could just be what gear its in I suppose. Oh and the fuel guage is very inaccurate, one minute it can be on half, next minute on a quarter, next minute half again... But the tapping sound makes me worry of impending monetary danger, seeing as this is my first car and all... by the way I had a big service done a few months ago at Zagame's, it cost a whopping $2000 AUD. I got my grandfather to have a listen, hes been repairing cars all his life... older ones though obviously. He seems to think its the 'valve lifters'... who knows though? I imagine that would be more of a faster tapping than what this is..

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can hear the ticking but not sure what to suggest........sometimes a leaking exhaust can cause very metallic sounding noises.Have you checked the exhaust system at the front,maybe the downpipe where it connects to the cat.Any signs of carbon deposits around the connections will be a sure sign of a leak.Exhaust noise sounds fine and water is just condensation build up in the exhaust system and it releases when you drive it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Could this be the VIS valve motors?

Doenst sound like an exhaust issue to me, plus any ticking would sson vanish once warm and would also get worse over time. If its an exhaust issue and its coming from the engine bay its probably a broken stud in the manifold, or indeed a cracked manifold down one bank.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mine does this too. MG enthusiast says valve lifter additive oftens cures this in the 2.5. (similar to stp etc) although I don't know which one would be best. My noise is only slight, more noticeable when cold but I have no problems or other symptoms....it pulls like a train. Perhaps an oil change would help.

As you know from the local area forum section, services are very expensive here, specially for belts...and oil change intervals should be halved in Australia.

·
Registered
685 Posts
forgot to mention the innaccurate fuel gauge is a common problem due to the saddle tanks connector not operating properly. The slow response to acceleration is a feature of the car and the Jatco gearbox....although if this is chronic is could be Vis issue. Btw, my 75 has similar kilometres, 116,000 so keep in touch to compare notes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies people, I just thought.. could the fuel make a difference? I've been using premium unleaded since I got the car ... could the higher octane have some effect on the problem? do you all use premium or standard unleaded?

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't have any noise problem but for info Tesco's are now doing a 99 Octane Super unleaded - started using it and have noticed better performance and smoother running.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also just want to say the sound is always there, cold or warm is no different... Its there when I back my car out of the garage and its there when I put it back in, cos it always catches my attention when im opening the roller door to my backyard.

By the way I don't think we have Tesco here in Australia.. hehe

·
Registered
685 Posts
our Tescos is woolies and coles budget petrol which is full of crap. Proper brand Premium will help performance a little and probably keep the engine cleaner. May even help the valve noise a bit. I'd try a hydraulic lifter additive from Repco and relax about the noise unless it becomes noticeably worse. Throttle lubrication can sometimes improve the kv6 performance too ...search for a thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
our Tescos is woolies and coles budget petrol which is full of crap. Proper brand Premium will help performance a little and probably keep the engine cleaner. .
Discussed in many forums ad nauseum. It's a matter of try and see what works for you ... I do note that the branded fuels (Esso, Shell, et al) no longer argue this (despite the supermarket strangle-hold). I always used non-supermarket petrol and, as I say, changing to Tesco high octance has improved things. Ultimately if they say it is 99 Octane - it must be - they would not risk it otherwise. A few tank-fulls of supermarket high octane will do the engine no harm but will allow you to decide for yourself. I would not argue other than to say I, personally, have noticed a difference for the better.

I thought Tesco's were everywhere, mrconstantine!! You don't know how lucky you are!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts