MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I have another small problem with my zt-t.I have not long bought the car which had a clutch issue in the records of the previous owner.He had a new master cylinder assy fitted a 1000 miles ago.If you bleed the system it seems ok then gets very near the bottom and a lot of pedal movement before engaging after a 50 miles or so.Maybe the new assy fitted has a leak?or any other ideas in the gearbox itself?

Fingers crossed

Andy

·
Registered
rover_75
72 Posts
Hi Mate

The Clutch actuation is three parts, the clutch plate, the master cylinder which is near the clutch pedal and the slave cylinder which is part of the clutch assembly living in the bell housing. It's not unknown for all of these items to need replacing at the same sort of milage. So if the previous owner fitted a new master cylinder, maybe its the slave cylinder going U/S? Only other thing you could try is to bleed the clutch, then instead of replacing the rubber cap that fits into the master cylinder leave it out and fill master cylinder full of fluid. You will need a suitable size washer to fit into the master cylinder cap. This would give you a greater fluid capacity so may improve things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume that means a gearbox out job then if its inside?Is this a big job on these cars?

Thanks very much

·
Registered
rover_75
72 Posts
Hi Mate

If you need a new slave cylinder it lives in the bell housing with the clutch plate. Yes it's a bit of a job, subframe out, gearbox out. If you have the slave cylinder renewed, put a new clutch plate in at the same time.

I go my diesel; done at my local clutch centre, new slave and clutch plate fitted, two year 20,000 guarantee cost about 500:00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts