MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZT 1.8T +160 at present but now have a fully grown Black Lab called Macie!
I have decided to swap for a ZT-T.
I have seen an 03 plated 1.8T with only 18000 miles, but it has a tow bar!
I know it depends on what it has been towing but should I be worried??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK!! No replies!!
Shall I rephrase the question?
I have heard bad reports about buying second cars with tow bars on.
Parts are put under additional strain, the engine works harder etc etc.
Has anybody out there had any bad experiences towing with a 1.8T ZT?
Is there anybody out there that tows using a 1.8T that can reassure me??
Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
My car is a r75 1.8t conn Purchased it 10 weeks ago with 25000 on clock FSH . Clutch was slipping when I test drove it, told garage to sort it and I would purchase it, Anyway 1st day out clutch went!!!!! so took it back and they fitted a new clutch all ok now, but I needed to fit a towbar for my caravan and when I took the bumper off I noticed It had previously been fitted with a bar so maybe thats why the clutch gave up early. hope this helps you, by the way The car tows well with avan on the back if you are thinking of towing
Regards
Dave

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi

I tow with my 1.8T have done now for last ten months with no probs, my caravan is a small two berth it tows very well, I have towed caravans now for the last 30 years biggest engine has been 2.2 in a vectra, the 1.8T tows better than the 2.2 did, my last car the 2.2 vectra i had for six years covering 60K never once had a problem with clutch most of the time i had a bigger 5 berth caravan and two children, I am as my wife says a fuss pot when i tow everything has to be perfect for the car, weight wise, that way there should be no probs, I have been fortunate to be able to have new cars don't like second hand cars like to know i have been the only driver, I have seen a lot of caravans well over weight people seem to put every thing in including the kitchen sink, I had one instance there was this lovely new outfit big 4X4 towing a nice new twin axle, family of five + bikes on the back I said to my wife look at this passing us thats what we need, he was passing on a motorway hill, but he didn't make it past, the whole thing just died on him i watched him get smaller in my rear view mirrors, I think what i`m trying to say is if previous owner has been sensible then there should be no probs

There is just my wife and i now and a 2 birth van weighing 1070kg fully loaded i personally would not tow anything bigger with my 1.8T 60mph is max towing a caravan forget horse power at high revs you need torque, with the 1.8T you have max torque at 60mph in 5th gear i rarely have to come out of 5th gear on a motorway, I don't like diesels but they are the best choice for towing bigger vans.

Mel75

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't think you can get a fair answer to your question. I tow with a 75 1.8T and it tows very well but so what? The guy who drove your 1.8T might have abused the clutch or just carried a bike. I've towed about 3000 miles with mine, but it could start slipping tomorrow. Who knows.
If you are concerned, look for another one. If not, get it bought!

My head gasket went at 30K, was that through towing? Who knows.

Good luck

Chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.
Think I will look elsewhere!...only need the extra space for my mutt...will not be towing!
may look for a CDTI actually!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Think I will look elsewhere!...only need the extra space for my mutt...will not be towing!
You could find one without a towbar and it could still be abused, owner riding the clutch etc. It think what people are saying is that a towbar shouldn't be a cause for concern as the 1.8t is a fine tow car, you just need to do the same checks as with any car. Some people fit tow bars so they don't scratch their bumpers when parking!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Judging by the number of secondhand towbars on ebay, and in my garage off previous cars for that matter, not having a towbar fitted doesn't mean there hasn't been one fitted. At least if it's still on it's honest. I suppose one clue is if it's not got twin sockets it's not towed a caravan.........

Ever the cynic -

Malcolm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts