MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed a couple of scours on the rear brake discs, both near and offside. The car has only done 18k miles but I am thinking about changing them any way. I have changed break discs in the past but only fronts are doing the rears any more difficult. Bearing in mind I don't have a manual and aould be going in blind. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this - the pads are hardly worn at all?! I heard that there are workshop manuals available in CD format - can anyone tell me where I can buy them from.

Cheers,
Del

·
Registered
87 Posts

Ouch - I barely mentioned the CD Manuals [even acknowledged it's frowned upon by moderators] and it got the chop!
Anyway,
Front - only trick to the front apart from TLC for sensor removal, is that 15mm M/bolt us used [many metric socket & spanner sets don't include 12mm & 15mm].
Rear - same story for sensor - a little TLC and you've saved yourself 10/15GBP. However a 5 Degree flat 13mm ratchet ring spanner would be handy as its a bit congested with metal on and around the rear callipers. Just, put the handbrake when releasing the one torx screw retaining the Disc/Rotor. then drop it to remove it - a bang with a rubber mallet might be needed to break and cold oxidation weld between the Hub & Disc. Callipers may need rocking to open them up to get the pads over the lip that forms on the outer edge - shove a bit of timber between the pads to keep them apart.
I regularly drop the back discs off to empty the dust that tends to build up in the drum.
NB: I've seen some posts that call for the rear discs to be replaced when they're at 19mm - the discs I have has a min of 16.4 stamped on them, but they are ventilated so maybe the solids are different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts