MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time in 20 months the fuel pump in my 52 plate ZT 190+ has dismantled itself.

On the first occasion, the guy from the AA identified it as a common problem and the dealer didn't seem that surprised either. Is this a well known fault and if so is there any solution?

I've been lucky so far in that the first time was 30 yards from my house and this time I was actually on the drive but I don't want to push my luck.

I spoke to my mechanic about whether it's worth changing the pump rather than just reassembling it but he's not sure whether that will reduce the chance of it happening again.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions but please bear in mind that the last car I worked on was 30 years ago on my Mk2 Cortina!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There's a mod - a small plastic clip to prevent it happening. It costs a whopping £7.

Contact Rimmer Bros or XPart.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You need to bear in mind that the FUEL FILTER under the rear left passenger seat is the one that is known to come apart on some cars and is fixed with a £5 orange clip/

The FUEL PUMP is under the rear right passenger seat and is not known for coming apart AFAIK.

As far as replacing the filter goes it is likely to cost about £300 if you let a dealer at it. The £5 clip on the other hand has always cured the problem in the past.

There is a 'how to to it' here :

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

Its the 2nd from bottom PDF in the left column entitled 'Petrol fuel
system failure'.

As the above takes you to a different forum you will have to join up but it is free.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
mg_zt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and link guys. Checked with the garage that we are talking about the filter and not the pump and have ordered the magic orange clip this morning.

Almost worth having the problem in a way as by finding this board I've learned more about my ZT in the last two days than in the previous 4 years I've owned it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You need to bear in mind that the FUEL FILTER under the rear left passenger seat is the one that is known to come apart on some cars and is fixed with a £5 orange clip/

The FUEL PUMP is under the rear right passenger seat and is not known for coming apart AFAIK.

As far as replacing the filter goes it is likely to cost about £300 if you let a dealer at it. The £5 clip on the other hand has always cured the problem in the past.

There is a 'how to to it' here :

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

Its the 2nd from bottom PDF in the left column entitled 'Petrol fuel
system failure'.

As the above takes you to a different forum you will have to join up but it is free.

Hope this helps

I think this is the EXACT thing that my 75 is in the garage for as we speak!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just bear in mind that a reasonable DIYer can do this fix in 30 to 45 minutes, so if the garage charges more than an hours labour challenge it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just bear in mind that a reasonable DIYer can do this fix in 30 to 45 minutes, so if the garage charges more than an hours labour challenge it.
Too true!

I used no special tools - didn't need any.

Hardest job I found was getting the rear seat squab back in.

·
Registered
mg_zt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have a spare "orange clip" (tip - you don't need two "for safety").

If anyone wants to buy this off me for £6 (cost me £6.05 + pp) then send me a pm.

·
Registered
mg_zt
57 Posts
Had the same problem, AA bloke knew and fixed it in 20mins, scary to think how much garage would have charged!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Fuel pump / filter

It still amazes me how often there is confusion as to what is giving the problem
How many times have owners been told of fuel pump problems when in many cases it is the filter coming unscrewed and only requiring re- tightening and the magic orange clip to prevent it happening again.
Forewarned is forearmed here. So often a car disappears into the workshop & you can be told any story when it comes out. I realise this can be the case in many instances but this fuel pump issue comes up so regularly that I cannot help feeling that many owners have been charged for a pump when, in fact, it was only 30 mins and a clip that fixed the problem.
Maybe worth repeating. The pump is on the right hand side and the filter on the left under the back seat.
First thing for non starting. Check fuel pump is working.
It can be heard for about 15 seconds after the ignition is turned on, most clearly if the seat squab is lifted.
If heard, suspect filter and after that the secondary pump under the bonnet (late cars only have rear pump)
It is thought that running the car on low fuel repeatedly
(especially if cutting out/ lumpy running has been experienced) throws an extra load on the front pump causing that to sometimes fail as well. In fact the car will, initially, run on just the front pump for a period before, often, finally failing. 2 pumps...... very expensive ! !
It would be wise to ask to see any failed pump AND TAKE IT AWAY FROM THE GARAGE.

·
Registered
93 Posts
filled the car up today and when parked up could smell petrol - strong smell.

When i drove off small puddle of petrol under rear of car.

Did a 120 mile round trip and no smell of fuel (so far) or puddle.

When i purchased the vehicle the rear seat cushion was loose - dealer had terrible problem refitting the cushion into the clip (said it was bent) - left hand side and i know this area gives access to the fuel filter area...?

Should i be suspicious? Are these two things linked? What shoul di look for and/or do about it?

obviously i'm concerned - help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
Every chance that the two are linked. The sealing ring between the filter module and the tank is fiddly to fit correctly. After the AA originally fixed mine I had the same problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
filled the car up today and when parked up could smell petrol - strong smell.

When i drove off small puddle of petrol under rear of car.

Did a 120 mile round trip and no smell of fuel (so far) or puddle.

When i purchased the vehicle the rear seat cushion was loose - dealer had terrible problem refitting the cushion into the clip (said it was bent) - left hand side and i know this area gives access to the fuel filter area...?

Should i be suspicious? Are these two things linked? What shoul di look for and/or do about it?

obviously i'm concerned - help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Based on what you've said it may be that someone has tried to fix the fuel filter problem.

75's have a known problem where the car will not start when the fuel filter works loose. To fix it you take out the back seat and under the left hand side undo the 4 nuts and take the filter out. You tighten the two parts of the filter (and can get a locking piece to stop it happening again - see other threads) and then put it back together again.

It may be that someone has bent the clip on the seat (shouldn't be hard to fix it you take the seat out) and may have not tightened the locking nuts down to ensure no leakage when full. As you have leaked petrol and used some it will have gone down below the level of a leak.

Only take out the fuel filter when you have a half tank or less - and ....sorry but ..... DON'T SMOKE. Obvious I know but some idiots ....!!!

This may be the answer but I'm sure someone else will come along with some ideas too.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
As stated above, a mis-fitted seal seems likely.

The seat is not easy to clip back. It needs to be pushed back onto the rear bracket, then pulled forward and forced down onto the front one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Next?

My Mk2 75 1.8T failed to start last night so call the AA.
Engine was turning over quite happily but not firing.
I had driven the car 100 miles and then parked for 5 hours. Had 3 quarters of a tank of fuel.
The AA man introduced me to the "common" fuel filter problem!
Took him less that 5 minutes to get at the filter which was NOT in 2 pieces as he had anticipated, shame because I suspect I could have driven home there and then!
He then checked :-
  • fuel pump, which was fine,
  • spark at plug also healthy although the plug was not showing any signs of fuel,
  • fuel at injector rail input, which was also good
  • injector pulse was fine
  • all fuses had volts
  • inertia switch was not activated
He did actually recheck the fuel filter at some stage during the process.
Car was returned home on a transporter!

Can anyone offer any further suggestions as to what might be the cause of my cars sudden illness........please!

PS. I owned a MK1 75 for 6 years prior to getting the MK2 and I have only just discovered this forum! I have to say that the wealth of knowledge, helpfulness and the enthusiasm of the members is very impressive!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would still re-re-re-check the fuel filter module and fit the new security clip. When mine failed the module was still very much in one piece and at the first attempt by the AA didn't want to screw together any further. A bit more force applied to it as an afterthought moved it by about 10 degreees further together and that fixed the problem.

A week or so later I came to fit the self tapper fix and gave it one more try and it moved a further final 5 degrees or so.

It can take a bit more twisting together than you think...

·
Registered
2 Posts
And There's More!

I would still re-re-re-check the fuel filter module and fit the new security clip. When mine failed the module was still very much in one piece and at the first attempt by the AA didn't want to screw together any further. A bit more force applied to it as an afterthought moved it by about 10 degreees further together and that fixed the problem.

A week or so later I came to fit the self tapper fix and gave it one more try and it moved a further final 5 degrees or so.

It can take a bit more twisting together than you think...
Thanks for your reply.
My car went into Clist & Rattle (ex-Rover dealer - Bristol) for diagnosis, the results of which they say is that the main fuel pump (passenger side, the one everyone seems to refer to as the fuel filter) was damaged by the AA man as was the pipe from the main fuel pump to the other fuel pump in the tank. They said that they cannot repair the pipe so have to get a new fuel pump (driver side) as the pipe is attached to it.
Total bill £560!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Fuel Pump/filter

Thanks for your reply.
My car went into Clist & Rattle (ex-Rover dealer - Bristol) for diagnosis, the results of which they say is that the main fuel pump (passenger side, the one everyone seems to refer to as the fuel filter) was damaged by the AA man as was the pipe from the main fuel pump to the other fuel pump in the tank. They said that they cannot repair the pipe so have to get a new fuel pump (driver side) as the pipe is attached to it.
Total bill £560!
That all sounds a bit confusing and pretty typical of a dealer going by past comments.
The filter is on the near side and the pump on the off side
under the rear seat.
The filter is the unit that can seperate. It is invariably fixed by screwing together again (with moderate effort to fully tighten. Prevented again by fitting the £5 orange clip.
I cannot see how the AA man could terminally damage a pipe, could be wrong, but would have thought a competent mechanic / DIY'er could overcome this. B.......
dealers are all too keen to say replace. Often too lazy to fit a jubilee clip if the original didn't come with one.
If the AA really have damaged something I would contact them and give them the chance to rectify it. Bet if it involves a new pump they will find a cure, and if they can't perhaps you can get a new pump out of them. Worth a try surely !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts