MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be a quick one for the Major. Driving home in heavy rain the other evening and my ZT CDTi (O4, 25k) lost power, didn't cut out but would no longer accelerate. After slowing down (I had no choice!) for a few minutes the fault cleared but reoccurred a couple more times by the time I got home. Been ok since, except.......

Over the past couple of months I have also noticed, intermittently, a loss in throttle response, a definite drop off in performance (like the edge is missing if that makes any sense) and my mpg has dropped dramatically. I am off to the dealer (3 year warranty!) on Saturday but would like to be prepared. Any suggestions?

Oh, forgot to mention, I've also noticed a certain lumpiness at idle and when accellerating hard from lowish (1800) revs.

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been, check out the date on my original thread. Where did you find it Sparrow?!

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, right. But then I've only had my ZT a year and have not known about the site for that much longer.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
75/ZT models manufactured between June 2001 and October 2001 were not fitted with some heat shields around the engine near the MAF sensor thus allowing the sensor to become contaminated.

The shields were returned in mid October 2001.

Models built at any other time are unlikely to suffer from contaminated MAF sensors.

·
Registered
200 Posts
MAF sensor will certainly become contaminated if the air filter is nearing the end of its life, particularly if it gets damp. (been there - outside lane, pi**ing down with rain, then no power....ooh err....!!)

Easily sorted with MAF clean & new air filter (surprisingly cheaper if you get it from a BMW dealer!)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I had this today too on my KV6 ZS.

No engine warning light but it was juddering and I had no power. Sorted itself after a minute or two. Was in very heavy rain too.

I had something similar driving through some standing water while in Northumberland a few weeks back, but that time I got a flashing engine warning light.

Also while in a dealers the other week while they checked under the car, they said a sensor was in the wrong place (i.e. not clipped in somewhere) and they sorted it.

Any advice? :eek:uch:

·
Registered
mg_zt
33 Posts
MAF sensor will certainly become contaminated if the air filter is nearing the end of its life, particularly if it gets damp. (been there - outside lane, pi**ing down with rain, then no power....ooh err....!!)

Easily sorted with MAF clean & new air filter (surprisingly cheaper if you get it from a BMW dealer!)
hi how much for the filter and sensor i am having trouble with loss of power

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blimey! two years since I posted this thread. What on earth spurred on a response?

Anyway, just for your info, the car has now done 82k and has just had a MAF sensor replaced which I believe is about on cue. The previous occurrence if I remember correctly was put right by the dealer foc at around the time MG Rover went pop.

Good to hear from you Dr Dave.

Regards,

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anyone any idea where the maf sensor is located and what cost to replace,regards.
Mine was £176 from local MG Rover shop. Warranty paid for it, I fitted it in about half an hour including peeling the label off the box it came in and finding a BMW labe underneath!

As Rons site will show you, it's located behind the engine, drivers side (RHD).

·
Registered
mg_zt
33 Posts
Mine was £176 from local MG Rover shop. Warranty paid for it, I fitted it in about half an hour including peeling the label off the box it came in and finding a BMW labe underneath!

As Rons site will show you, it's located behind the engine, drivers side (RHD).
thanks for the information, appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts