MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, i thought at first it was the balancing, as the knocking is very rythmic and seems to be consistant with the speed. After being to the tyre outfit the other day they confirmed everything is in order so i can rule out the wheels. i hear no knocking at very low speeds nor anything about/past 60. Its probobly loudest at 30. It isnt a random knock that id expect from a bush and admitedly i haven't looked underneath the car yet for anything obvious. Has anyone any idea's as to what this may be, is there and trays underneath that come loose thus flapping in the wind maybe ???

suggestions welcomed :)

thanks....

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
i guess ill have to get on me back and have a look meself
Yes. Hopefully it will provide more clues.
Do you feel the knocking through the steering wheel or do you simply hear it?

While underneath, check the condition of the drive shafts and gaiters. Check the state of the brakes and the lower suspension ball joint. Check the suspension arm mounting bush at the rear end. Check the under-engine tie bar bushes. Check all the other ball joints. There are four each side - steering arm inner and outer ends and the stabiliser drop linkage. Check the wheel bearings by 'rocking' the front wheels. When doing this stuff ensure the car is safely on axle stands or some other support beyond the OEM jack.

TC

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the passanger can feel it ever so slightly under foot but i can hear it, certainly nothing through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes all wheels are tight, first thing i checked ;)

Ok, the car is currently sat on ramps, ive had a crawl under and had a look at anything that could posssibly move, suspension struts, trim, exhaust. ive had a look at the bushes that are dotted around the rear and can find nothing obviously wrong. before i put the front on the ramps anyone have any further sugestions ? or give me an idea what to look for in laymens terms.... ??

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Hmmmmmm very difficult to diagnose this over the INTERNETS Ian.

Rotational knocking noise when driving in a straight line, yes?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After months of p***ng about trying to figure out what this is, it turns out that this was indeed a tyre, after getting 2 new tyres on the rear the noise has now gone :)

at last, its like driving a new car again !!! hehehe

thanks all for the suggestions...

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
After months of p***ng about trying to figure out what this is, it turns out that this was indeed a tyre, after getting 2 new tyres on the rear the noise has now gone :)

By your first post, saying that tyre fitters had checked you stopped me replying long ago.

Had the same thing on a car brought to me for diagnosis years ago,

Driving the car I could have sworn it was knocking at the rear.
Turned out to be a front tyre with a bad inside bulge! on an early Rover P6
Feedback appreciated, knocks difficult to diagnose via forums, hence the scattergun approach, check everything!
M

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By your first post, saying that tyre fitters had checked you stopped me replying long ago.

Had the same thing on a car brought to me for diagnosis years ago,

Driving the car I could have sworn it was knocking at the rear.
Turned out to be a front tyre with a bad inside bulge! on an early Rover P6
Feedback appreciated, knocks difficult to diagnose via forums, hence the scattergun approach, check everything!
M
infact i had this checked at 2 tyre places both siad they look and feel right :) still after takin the plunge i changed em anyway..

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts

Did the noise appear to come from the front though, even though it was a rear tyre?

Also, was it slightly worse when going around a corner. Lastly, did it go after a long motorway run, only to come back shortly afterwards when you'd done a few miles around local roads?

Sorry for the Qs, but I've got a similar noise problem! Although its not knocking, just a faint rumbling sound that sounds elliptical, if you know what I mean! but is obviously linked to road speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts