MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday and Thursday (both days very wet) the missus said our car had been stuttering (like a petrol misfire). She travels about 35 miles each way to work and said it happened 4 or 5 times on each journey, the car was up to temp each time it happen and was at low revs and occurred in at least 2 gears (3rd & 5th from what she remembers). I used the car today (nice and dry) and it seemed fine, maybe slight hesitation on light constant throttle below 2000 r.p.m (which could be my imagination). The car is an 04 (facelift) cdti with 29000 miles, synergy on setting 3 with MAFAM on and intake slightly modified (2” or so taken off the front). I have never tried the synergy on a higher MAF compensation, in fact I only recently switched the MAFAM on as no problems before at low revs. I have had similar symptoms on my petrol mondeo until I bypassed the EGR. Are we just experiencing MAF degradation or something else, any ideas much appreciated?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
On Wednesday and Thursday (both days very wet) the missus said our car had been stuttering (like a petrol misfire). She travels about 35 miles each way to work and said it happened 4 or 5 times on each journey, the car was up to temp each time it happen and was at low revs and occurred in at least 2 gears (3rd & 5th from what she remembers). I used the car today (nice and dry) and it seemed fine, maybe slight hesitation on light constant throttle below 2000 r.p.m (which could be my imagination). The car is an 04 (facelift) cdti with 29000 miles, synergy on setting 3 with MAFAM on and intake slightly modified (2” or so taken off the front). I have never tried the synergy on a higher MAF compensation, in fact I only recently switched the MAFAM on as no problems before at low revs. I have had similar symptoms on my petrol mondeo until I bypassed the EGR. Are we just experiencing MAF degradation or something else, any ideas much appreciated?

Thanks
Tim
Will every one who has experienced this side effect of wet weather on their 75/ZT diesels please donate £1 to the club!!

Its moisture on the maf sensor!

Sometimes it will damage the maf to a greater or lesser extent.

Leave a few days for the air filter to dry out and then try a higher mafam setting.

Ron

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Ron. Unfortunately now I have an irratic idle, it did not stall but did not seem far off. I was in traffic this morning and it was nearly upto temp when it was most noticable. I have not checked the PCV assembly as its only done 28000 miles. I never shrunk the heat shrink on the synergy fuel rail connector but it has been dry now for a couple of days? Any other ideas on what to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Cheers Ron. Unfortunately now I have an irratic idle, it did not stall but did not seem far off. I was in traffic this morning and it was nearly upto temp when it was most noticable. I have not checked the PCV assembly as its only done 28000 miles. I never shrunk the heat shrink on the synergy fuel rail connector but it has been dry now for a couple of days? Any other ideas on what to check?

Thanks
Switch off the Synergy switches, mafam one first and then the Tu3 one, then both see if its better or worse.

If its the same regardless of the switch settings, then possibly the maf sensor is the culprit.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts