MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i am looking at a zt260 and have seen on the MG website that it is limited to 155 can this limiter be removed and if so what top speed can it acheve.

Cheers

Al

·
Registered
mg_zt
307 Posts
I wasnt aware they were limited, on other cars (BMW ETC) is is cheap and easy to remove, are you seriously going to drive around at 155MPH though, i would doubt it very much!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also read somewhere that it was limited - however, I also read a car test where they could "only" get it up to 149mph, so maybe it isn't limited. Rincewind would know.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Well if you've got a long enough road - in 5th gear 3000rpm is about 90mph, and it redlines at 6000rpm, so technically that's about 180 more or less. Whether it would run out of puff before it got there I've no idea.

I'd like to take mine to an airfield where they do top speed runs - be quite interesting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
155mph

As an owner of a 260, I can tell you that they will do an indicated 155mph! When I first bought it though, it was struggling at 148ish. A few thousand miles later and 150mph (indicated) is no problem, the last 5mph taking some time to achieve.
These cars need 15k on the clock before they think about performing at their peak. I was really surprised by how mine as freed up, it was very lazy at low revs when I first bought it.
As for removing the limiter, in standard tune I doubt it will break 156 to be honest. The limiter is there for you imagination to play with!!
As for speedo error, I don't care! Having a car that can indicate 155mph is good enough for me!
The photo of 155 on XPF belongs to me.
V8GCK.

·
Registered
399 Posts
CNorman said:
Half of those people are full of ****!
Well.. Some of them maybe, but if you get onto the V8 sub-forum, you will find most of it is us sensible 260 owners who know full well that our cars can comfortably do anything within the bounds of sanity, and that the vast majority of us probably wouldn't be able to drive them above those bounds anyway, so there is refreshingly little willy waving!

Having said that, you will get some willing amateurs (such as me :D ) who have only recently got their 260, and are happy to talk about them without necessarily knowing what they're talking about! Again, such as me, but I am learning quickly!

One thing I have definitely learnt so far is that the two people to really trust on that thread to know what they're talking about are Rincewind (the man responsible for getting the 260 through type approvals in the first place) and Shuey (vast experience of fitting superchargers, racing a 520bhp ZT etc). Just an edit to apologise to anyone else who does know what they're talking about! I just picked these two out as I know for sure that they do.

Oh yes.. and another thing I've learnt.. you might start out thinking it would be nice to remove the limiter and be able to hit even higher speeds, but assuming you do get one, within 5 miles on twisting B roads you'll have had so much fun at speeds around 1/3 of the limited max that you'll simply forget all about it!!!

For reference, were I ever to be somewhere that I could legally maintain a reading of exactly 100mph on the speedo, I would have very good reason to assume that my Road Angel would be recording 96mph. If you assume that the divergence is linear, then at 155 on the speedo, you would probably be doing a true speed of around 149.

Finally, if you do buy one (go on, go on, you know you want to), then pop over to www.two-sixties.com and sign up for the owners' club. The forum on there is restricted to members only, and you'll find absolutely not one ounce of bull on there, since we all know what each others' cars are really capable of, and most people just want to get maximum sensible enjoyment out of them.

Anyway, enough of the late night rambling.. I've got to get up to pack the toddlers and drive said 260 to Beaulieu in just a few short hours :D

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
It is limited to 155 and its top speed without the limiter is, err 155. This was a clever bit of marketing by MGR (about the only bit laterly!), by stating that it was 'limited to 155', as per Merc, BMW, Audi et al, it implied that it would go faster unsrestricted.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Well said V8 owners, I have read a lot about the V8s and learned a lot from XPF folks, respect to all those that contribute to healthy discussion. I would personally be in one if it were not for the running costs.

My apologies on behalf of good sense for the negativity of some posters. Quite uncalled for IMHO.

MM

·
Registered
399 Posts
V8King said:
Well said womble, from a 260 (400) wannabe.......
You're welcome! I have to admit I did somewhat take offense at the "full of :***: " comment being randomly applied to us poor 260 owners!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts