MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps

I'm new here,
I have an MG ZT 120+ which looks great in charcoal with the big spoiler, but doesn't go like a rocket. Had to go for the 120+ for cash reasons - price/insurance/running costs - but wondered if I'd get much more oomph if I went for the induction kit that's £88 in the MGRover.org shop?

Has anyone fitted this to a 120+ with decent results? Or would it just mean my car LOOKS and SOUNDS the part, but still doesn't really fly?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
69 Posts
markmarkmark said:
Hi chaps

I'm new here,
Had to go for the 120+ for cash reasons - price/insurance/running costs
Without wanting to sound pedantic, modifying your car is going to increase your insurance costs, and the reason to fit an induction kit is to get more air in, so you can burn more petrol, so you're going to increase your running costs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The V6 would have cost me three or four grand more at the time of purchase.

Insuring a 120+ even with an induction kit is significantly less than a V6.

Anyone else got experience of the induction kit I'm talking about?

·
Registered
mg_zr
459 Posts
im getting an induction kit for my 120, i have the ZR though so its a quite abit quicker than urs.

It will increase ur BHP, actually quite abit as 120BHP from a 1.8i is hardly stressed, and the engines are renound for their breathing.
This is why the TF135 (using same engine) has an extra 15bhp due to better breathing (also cams).

the 120 can easily be tuned to 150bhp with only the basic mods:-

induction kit
throttle bodies (52mm)
cams
exhaust
160 inlet manifold
superchip etc etc

·
Registered
374 Posts
ZR120 said:
im getting an induction kit for my 120, i have the ZR though so its a quite abit quicker than urs.

It will increase ur BHP, actually quite abit as 120BHP from a 1.8i is hardly stressed, and the engines are renound for their breathing.
This is why the TF135 (using same engine) has an extra 15bhp due to better breathing (also cams).

the 120 can easily be tuned to 150bhp with only the basic mods:-

induction kit
throttle bodies (52mm)
cams
exhaust
160 inlet manifold
superchip etc etc
How much would the above mentioned items set someone back roughly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
ZT power

As an ex ZT 120 owner there is really no quick way to more power. I looked into all sorts and the most you could expect from an induction kit is a couple of BHP (would sound better though!). An exhaust would liberate a bit more, and throttle bodies etc. more still. I would take some of the BHP claims with a pinch of salt as well. I worked out I'd be spending about £800 (induction, exhaust, throttle bodies) for a gain of about 10 bhp max. I decided it wasn't worth it...got in a strop and ended up part exing my ZT for a Golf GTi Turbo.
Now I thought that the ZT needed more power (and on steep hills maybe it does) but after driving the Golf (which has a lot more power) I quickly realised that in reality the ZT was perfectly adequate...in fact I preferred it to the Golf. Most of the time you can't use mega power anyway (unless you drive like a tw*t)...so from someone who has been there...by all means do the mods but enjoy the car for what it is...a very reasonable, good looking, fine handling car that handles 90 % of all journeys as well as you would want.

As for me...VW lied about the number of owners...so I got all my money back after 4 months...and now i am looking at ZTs again!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jason B said:
As an ex ZT 120 owner there is really no quick way to more power. I looked into all sorts and the most you could expect from an induction kit is a couple of BHP (would sound better though!). An exhaust would liberate a bit more, and throttle bodies etc. more still. I would take some of the BHP claims with a pinch of salt as well. I worked out I'd be spending about £800 (induction, exhaust, throttle bodies) for a gain of about 10 bhp max. I decided it wasn't worth it...got in a strop and ended up part exing my ZT for a Golf GTi Turbo.
Now I thought that the ZT needed more power (and on steep hills maybe it does) but after driving the Golf (which has a lot more power) I quickly realised that in reality the ZT was perfectly adequate...in fact I preferred it to the Golf. Most of the time you can't use mega power anyway (unless you drive like a tw*t)...so from someone who has been there...by all means do the mods but enjoy the car for what it is...a very reasonable, good looking, fine handling car that handles 90 % of all journeys as well as you would want.

As for me...VW lied about the number of owners...so I got all my money back after 4 months...and now i am looking at ZTs again!
Well done for looking at ZTs again mate! :)

Having had company cars for years when I eventually went into nursing aged 30 my first "bought" car was a Rover 200 2L turbo diesel. It just felt right.

After settling down with my missus we began to look for a new car, I wanted a ZT (after the test drive) but my missus wanted a new Primera. So, the Prim it was. Followed a year later by a Scenic. Finally this year I got my way and we swapped the Scenic for a two year old ZT and guess what? Yep, it just feels right.

I don't know what it is about Rover/MG but they fit me perfectly and the ZT is the car I've always wanted.

Get a 160 or 190, you won't regret it.

Alistair

1 - 7 of 7 Posts