MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

After breaking down on sunday and aa man unable to get me going again, it turns out my 53-reg zt 120+ needs a new fuel pump.

£200+VAT and a three week wait!!!

Anyone know where I might get one sooner and/or cheaper?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Fuel Pump

markmarkmark said:
Hi

After breaking down on sunday and aa man unable to get me going again, it turns out my 53-reg zt 120+ needs a new fuel pump.

£200+VAT and a three week wait!!!

Anyone know where I might get one sooner and/or cheaper?

Thanks in advance!
Could try ECP 01767 682100 good and very reasonable. Also Marshall are selling off some parts at discount 0800 279 4400 ask for Steve Ingham and please mention Rover/MG club

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Fuel Pump

If you do have to replace and can't find one perhaps you could be the first member to try sustituting with the Peugeot pump, it is supposed to be identical. If you do please let us know as it apears it is far cheaper than the Rover pump

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had an AA man and a decent mechanic test the fuel filter whilst in the car and they seemed to think it need a new one.

Is there a chance the filter fault mentioned above would make the fuel pump appear knackered?

Any help is much appreciated chaps

Thanks

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,479 Posts
markmarkmark said:
I've had an AA man and a decent mechanic test the fuel filter whilst in the car and they seemed to think it need a new one.

Is there a chance the filter fault mentioned above would make the fuel pump appear knackered?

Any help is much appreciated chaps

Thanks

Yes, this is the 'pick up' for the fuel and if it has unscrewed itself there will be no fuel pressure as if the pump is dud. When the problem arose most dealers would change the whole thing rather than fix it as when MG-Rover was alive they got money for the warranty claim. Its very rare for the pump to go and more likely to be unscrewed, but it could be dead. Easy to check and fix if you have a hammer and large screwdriver - this is what I used and didn't need the 'special' tool mentioned in the link. Mine hasn't failed, I just premptively put a screw in it to lock it together, but there is a small clip specially for the job that about a fiver.

Where about are you - maybe someone who knows could check it for you. But I thought most AA knew about this problem. i would check first though.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Fuel Pump/Filter

Mark. Please let us know how you are getting along and whether you have obtained the clip or other parts as there are 'many ways of killing a cat'
There has been so much on this subject in these threads. Have you got the club tech bulletin and have you tried a search With the search/arrow above.
The Peugeot pump is a very recent revelation by the way but maybe there is a member who can enlighten us.
You seem to have people that know what they are looking at but beleive me there have been some frightening stories of dealers and others that don't know the pump from the filter and they all seem to be hell bent on saying it's the pump.
Look forward to your further news

1 - 9 of 9 Posts