MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 53 reg - should my brake pad warning light be on already at 24,000 miles?

And how much shold I pay for a set, if I'm fitting them myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends on what type of driving you do. I got 53K out of my pads on my ZT160 but that is all motorway driving, long distances with little braking.

If you drive mainly in stop start traffic you will brake a lot more often and therefore wear your pads quicker.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think you will find that brake pad sensors are not generally clever electronic sensors in the conventional sense. Rather a termination of two wires embedded in the pad such that when the pad has worn down to reveal the "sensor", the two wire terminations complete a circuit across the disc surface and hence light the dash warning.

On this basis, if the dash warning light has illuminated, it's time to change. Pull a wheel off and by looking through the front of the caliper, you will see the amount of friction material left. It's not that expensive or difficult a job to do yourself if you are slightly mechanically minded. I would regard it as the easiest of the non routine service jobs. However, as MikeM says, don't leave it too long.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Might be worth a visit to E Car Parts on Ebay, sensors about ?7.50 or 15 for front and back. They're a lump of plastic that eventually gets mashed by the worn pad, 24K sounds low, it might be worth jacking up, removing front wheel and checking it - you can see the sensor + pad thickness quite clearly through the caliper. The very thin wires can get cut quite easily if the little plastic ties fail that hold them to suspension .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts