MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I may as well ask here as I got sat down with a nice cappacino than go back out with the screwdriver ;)

Does anyone know offhand what size the rear speakers are, and a half decent drop in replacement, doesn't need to be great its only filling afterall.

Also, does anyone know of any direct replacement components from a decent manufacturer, need to spend a bit more on the fronts than the backs as they count for more to the ol' ears.

Tia
John

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
pretty sure they are 16cm in the rear, same as the 200/25/ZR

anything will work really, as its only rear fill. As you said the front components are the important part

what is your budget for front speakers? remembering that you will need to amp them to get the best out of them :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Money wise on the components, around 100£ on them. I am not after uber quality like I had in the 306, times have changed (married and 2kids since then) I just *must* have something better than the standard stuff, cos dear me does it sound awful after my 306 setup :[

I have amps already from my old car, an ICE'd up 306 pug.

2x Clarion amps, each 2x40wrms (but i multimetered them at almost 50wrms as I recall
1x Kenwood 716, nice monoblock sub amp rated at 120wrms but again, i multimetered it nearer 150wrms (god bless ratings at 12v and cars delivering more )

Fetching the MDF in the next few days to start building in the boot, utilising the space around the LPG tank (which sits proud) to effectivly not lose any more space in the boot bar a small box, just redoing the false floor around the tank for the amps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far, I'd never heard of Rainbow to be honest, but I haven't kept up with the audio stuff the last few years.

Whats the best way to deal with the tweeter positioning, I have the standard tweeters at the moment in the wing mirror position, possible to just switch them out and keep the housing on the original ?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
depends on how big they are and what type of fixing they require

but anything is possible, obviously try them in a few different areas of the cabin before deciding on one position though

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, perhaps someone may pop up who has done something similar and has some make/model numbers for a relativly simple swap. The boots going to be enough work without killing myself in the front as well ;)

Thanks for your help so far anyway Geeza

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
no worries, welcome on board :D

I'd recommend PMing a member called Gra, he has a set of comps in his ZS, could give you a few more pointers

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Rears are 160mm. 165mm will fit though.

One thing to remember is the rear speaker grills-they really should be reused due to the shape of the rear shelf-assuming it is a saloon. I have just replaced mine and kept the original grills.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oki, thanks for the clarification and tip about the grill, I do like to keep things looking stock from the outside, never been a fan of 'stealth' shelves as you can normally spot them a mile away and then you instantly know there are goodies in the car.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
For rear fill, your stock speakers should be ample. They are only fill afterall.. Spend that £100 on better fronts/front amp/amp for the stock rears or anything else in the rest of your install - possibly some sound deadening.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The stock rears distort like hell as soon as they get a little volume up their bottoms and thats off the headunit alone, let alone the amp they are going to get.

Just off to get the headunit fitted now, and Dynamat for behind the fronts is already on the shopping list, not bothering to deaden the backs as the gain on those will be lower anyways, and I;m not quite so worried about the quality on this build like the previous car, I'm balancing cost/quality this time a little more in favour of saving cost ;)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
SubBASS said:
The stock rears distort like hell as soon as they get a little volume up their bottoms and thats off the headunit alone, let alone the amp they are going to get.
That'll be down to the headunit clipping, and you feeding them full range frequencies. Add an amp and you get cleaner power, and can filter out the bottom end... much much nicer sound :)

Add £100 aftermarket speakers and they'll probably have even higher power requirements, so distort at lower volumes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got the headunit replaced and it seems like it was that causing the distortion as it sounds 'ok' in the cabin now with the new one, seems it wasn't blown speakers so I think I'll just go with sub/amp for now and save a few quid. Which I think I am going to need as not only do I have a suspected broken VIS but the SRS warning light came on as I left home :[

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeps thank you very much, I did a search right after posting, already been out and undone and then reconnected the passenger side clip, ran the car for 10mins and it stayed off.

Soon as I did the search and saw the general replies I knew full well what it was, as the wife had put the manual for the new stereo under her seat on the trip home ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts