MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
grrr. never stops, hydraulics, then air-con, and now I've a water leak into the car.

Had a moisture problem for a while, and knew there was water in the boot, but I put the back seats down to get my PA gear in and the fabric under the seats was drenched. I've looked for evidence of a leak around the light clusters and can't find any, so it's somewhere else. Lots of water in bodywork crevaces on the right hand side under the boot lid.

Any thoughts, and also anywhere cheap around the Cheshire/Manchester area I can take this to get fixed? Still no job so money is really really tight but I must get this sorted.

Thanks,

m

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
ZS's leak around the light seals, the internal side bumper mounts which come through into the body below the bootlid carpet, and around the vent at the lower left side at bumper level.

Also known to leak from the passenger side rear wheelarch due to a rubber seal being deleted where the fuel filler goes into the body / fuel tank.

Mine was leaking at bumper mount holes - but the cure is easy.

Pop down to a Homebase / B n Q type place, and buy some DIY silicon sealant, of the type you'd use around a bath.

You don't have to get a "gun" type cartridge as they do an aerosol type now.

Dry off the car really well (pick a dry day and get busy with towels / old cloths etc) then unbolt your rear lights from inside and apply sealant to the foam bit, remove boot floor carpet and pop out the side fasteners, then apply sealant around the side bumper mounts and the vent thing with the rubber flap.
Then leave to dry, re-fit everything and check with water spray later.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RY, will give this a go..

Just need a rain less day in here Cheshire - unheard of in the summer months, haha :)

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
234 Posts
If your car is wet under the rear seat squab, try cleaning and sealing with silicone under the rear wheel arch where there is a bolt than attaches the bottom of the seat belt to the car body. I've had 2 ZSs & they have both leaked there on the drivers side.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I thought I had a slight water leak somewhere in the boot as i always had a bad damp smell, then one day cleaning the car i found that I had about 1" of water in the boot wheel well, after spended about an hr looking for the leak i found slight traces on the rear lower panel which indicated that the water was going along the tailgate rubber seal and then as it dripped off the bottom it made its way through a panel join under the rubber seal. I used some silicone around all of the panels joins/seams and also fitted a brand new tailgate rubber seal. after doing those 2 jobs I haven't had any water problems since :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brill. Thanks for all this.. Just need it to stop raining now and get this sorted...

The SRS light coming on can be added to the fault list now, haha :) (had that before and it just went away, here's hoping)

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Brill. Thanks for all this.. Just need it to stop raining now and get this sorted...

The SRS light coming on can be added to the fault list now, haha :) (had that before and it just went away, here's hoping)
SRS light fault is also easily fixed.
Have a look under the front seats, and you will see a wire connected to a yellow plug going from the seat into the floor.

These are the connections to the seat airbags. If you give them a bit of a wiggle, the light may go out.

Failing that, disconnect them (with ignition switched off) and spray with WD 40 and re-connect.

Make sure that nothing under the seats is touching them either, my light came on cos an old redbull can was kicking around under my seat, and was touching the connector bit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You could try what I did:
Remove all the trim etc in the boot, and then get someone trustworthy to look in the boot while you squirt a hose around all the likely entry points?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts