MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this post on another thread and thought this may make a good thread.

Rapid Yellow said:
To be honest, the platform had probably had it's life by about 2000, as they were all based on mid 90's Honda designs anyway.

Granted the MG ROVER engineers did a good job turning it into the ZS range, and developed a cracking chassis.:)
I personally think that a ZS180, with a few mods to the induction has got to be the best drivers car ever to come out of MG Rover, Rover Group, Austin-Rover, etc.

It is dynamically brilliant, is able to put it's power down in an excellent manner, has a powerful V6, which is creamy in it's delivery.

What other Rover car can you take to a few trackdays, drive it really hard and not knacker it out/replace the brake discs half way through, while at the same time surprising a lot of other cars on the track and finding the real depths of the cars abilities at the same time?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i agree, a std 180 zs is no way near as quick in a straight line as the turbo coupe/200 but is much much more composed and agile. a very underated car.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
It is a cracking car as is alright. That's why the racing circuits use them, I had my first taste of one at Brands and fell for it.

I had a blast around the lanes tonight, was great fun!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there is anything else to come out of Rover/ARG/BL that has been such a complete package though:

SD1 Vitesse
BMC Mini Cooper
anything else?

The only thing which lets the ZS180 down is a lack of power when you drive one for a few hours. . . . . only feels like that because the chassis is so darn good though.

I guess this can be addressed with a few mods too.

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
I like my ZS 180. I suppose the idea of "driver's car" concentrates on handling, acceleration etc.

The famed BMC "package" is not as marked as it was on, say, the Rover 400 Tourer. I wouldn't mind a tighter turning circle, ie one measured in megayachts rather than supertankers!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
patpending said:
I like my ZS 180. I suppose the idea of "driver's car" concentrates on handling, acceleration etc.

The famed BMC "package" is not as marked as it was on, say, the Rover 400 Tourer. I wouldn't mind a tighter turning circle, ie one measured in megayachts rather than supertankers!
I suppose I better define what I mean by drivers car. . . . I mean a car, which is very rewarding for the driver to drive quickly over different types of roads.

The things that make a drivers car, in my opinion, are as you say handling, acceleration, but going deeper than that, I guess it means:

Excellent turn in, with no lag.
Minimal body roll.
Very nicely weighted, quick steering with good feedback.
Neutral poise on limits of adhesion, not a "Titanic" in terms of understeer as many FWD fast cars have been - 200 turbo, Alfa V6's, etc. . .
Very high levels of adhesion.
Strong bodyshell is probably key to a lot of this.

Smooth powerful engine which likes being revved. - Sporty, progressive power delivery.

etc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've owned a 156 V6, with a bit of suspension fettling it was never as understeery as people made out.

Would love to try the Autodelta GTA versions which are supposed to have acheived the impossible in getting over 220bhp to the front wheels successfully.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I love them. I would absolutely love a high spec mk2 ZS180 saloon with extreme spoiler and all the kit in yellow, blue or grey.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I'm happy with mine - but it does have a penchant for eating clutch master and slave cylinders!!!!!!!!

It handles well, is even better now it has induction mods, and I had it at Santa Pod 2 weeks ago and got a 15.5 sec 1/4 mile out of it.

Oh, and it makes a fantastic noise with my combination of mods as well.
(And Rover King would love it as it's yellow)

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Gotta be said its a mighty fine motor you can drive it like a compleate pancake flipper or just like driving miss daisy and its still satisfying to drive ,

do have to agree after a few hours behind the wheel you can very easily find yourself going silly fast without noticing - many a time my mother has nudged me as weve approched 90 and said slow down when I think im only doing 60 - the chassis is just set up right - no need for fancy electronics to keep it in check just good old fashioned proper handeling .......

And I love it

·
Registered
33 Posts
The ZS is definitely a good'en. The best thing about it is the V6 factor. It's a good compromise between comfort and performance. I love the way I can boot it around and stick in into corners yet I don't think twice about taking it on 1000 mile round trips. I also own a 220 Turbo and whilst it's a tad quicker I wouldn't take it some of the places I go in the ZS.

Also I got given a piece of furniture the other day. I just but the seats down and slung it in the back. You can't do that with the coupe! :)

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
i disagree, for a drivers car you cant beat the metro GTi with the later Mpi engine, fast, handles like its on rails and nothing to detract from the feeling

andy

·
Registered
33 Posts
AndBurG said:
i disagree, for a drivers car you cant beat the metro GTi with the later Mpi engine, fast, handles like its on rails and nothing to detract from the feeling

andy
I was about to laugh and disagree with you but then I remembered one night when a friend of mine took me out in his Metro 1.1 that had been done-up (lowered, Recaro seats etc). It was fun and it did handle well and was surprisingly fast. Having said that it was about 14 years ago! My ZS is like brand new. How's your Metro now? :)

I learnt to drive in a Metro so don't think I have no nostalgic memories for it but my ZS stomps all over it. Sorry!

·
Registered
mg_zt
140 Posts
Sorry folks I have got to disagree. You would too if you had sampled the ZT260. The steering feel is completely uncorrupted because it is RWD. The engine has masses of torque from tickover on up and is really quick around the twisties.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
PaulW said:
Sorry folks I have got to disagree. You would too if you had sampled the ZT260. The steering feel is completely uncorrupted because it is RWD. The engine has masses of torque from tickover on up and is really quick around the twisties.
Probably true, but back in the real world where most folk can't afford to run ZT V8's the ZS 180 is a pretty good handling FWD car from the MGR stable.

I'd LOVE a ZT V8, but I don't earn anywehere near enough to buy one, and with petrol at nearly £1 / litre it would have to be a weekend only toy.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PaulW said:
I know what you are saying and now drive a RWD car myself.

However, I think the ZS180 is the best FWD car I have ever driven from a dynamics point of view.

I like the comparison to the Metro GTi as I had one of these. The ZS has similar turn in characteristics, which make it feel so nimble, overall however the ZS does it for me as it is more of a complete package, with higher levels of grip and more adjustable on the limit.

The Metro had some nasty lift off oversteer, wheras the ZS can be encouraged into 4 wheel slides easily when pushed hard in the dry.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
once ive got my koni yellows and pi springs on, ill have a match round the corners for you zs180 boys! ;)

+ plus a strutbrace, some 17s instead of silly little 15s, some decent brakes instead of what would be just about adequite on a 1.0 nova! once all that done then the coupe will handle, untill then i just have to hang on for dear life!:errx2:

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I've always loved the ZS, I also love the way that Rob and the boys got a lad like me falling in love with a breathed over Honda Ballade! :D

MG made the better car. :)

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Sorry, but the best drivers car would be the MGF/TF - I prefer it over anything I've ever had.

But in saloon form, the ZS is the by far a better drive than the ZR, more exciting than the ZT (apart from the V8) and the V6 is simply aural sex.

However, had the 1.8 Turbo K made its way into it, it would almost certainly out perform and out handle a 180. That would have been, in my book, the best saloon to appear from RG.

Sadly it didn't, so the Mk2 ZS 180 wears the crown as the best saloon.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Sorry, but the best drivers car would be the MGF/TF - I prefer it over anything I've ever had.

But in saloon form, the ZS is the by far a better drive than the ZR, more exciting than the ZT (apart from the V8) and the V6 is simply aural sex.

However, had the 1.8 Turbo K made its way into it, it would almost certainly out perform and out handle a 180. That would have been, in my book, the best saloon to appear from RG.

Sadly it didn't, so the Mk2 ZS 180 wears the crown as the best saloon.

Agree 100% with this.

I have driven a ZS120, a ZS115 and a ZS180. All beautiful driver's cars and it is what made me change the suspension on my R400 to the ZS120 setup. But driving the F is simply awesome. The ZS comes close and as far as a FWD car with very few driving aids goes it is as good as it gets (along with the Alfasud). The F though is still a better driver's car.

The ZS was the car in the Zed range that most lived up to the MG image. It was mechanically pure with very little to impede the feeling of the car on the road. Complete fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts