MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04MY ZS and the driver side seat creaks from the left hand side (near the seatbelt clip) when I get in/out and sometimes while drive.

I'm fairly certain it's not springs in the seat as I've shoved my hand into the cushion all around and it's fine.

It seems to be the bolts or the seatbelt arm that's causing this but I can't pinpoint it!!

Any advice folks? :minxy:

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Make sure the seat fixing bolts are tight, very tight.

Then liberally spray the joints in the metal frame of the seat in the area of the squeak....that should cure it.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
Also:
Seat and console creak where they touch. Some wax polish helps to reduce.
Seat squab and plastic trim around seat creak - wax again or silicone spray applied with cotton wool bud in gap.
Seat belt buckle housing rattles against seat or centre console A little bit of yes - my favourite - sticky back foam - also stick some to one of the buckle latches on ther rear otherwise they rattle together.

Also, the raise/lower mechanism may not have been lubricated. (would you handle in greasy seat frame whilst assembling seats all day and not get grease all over the seats?)

The ZS has seats from the ZT shoehorned into it. that is why it is a little tight in there. None the worse for that though.

Track may not be properly lubricated. Seat all the way forward and wipe some grease over tracks.

Nice and satisfying to fix.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Yeah, forgot the tracks - a little grease on those does often help in curing creaking.

I've come across many loose seats in ZS and 45's before......

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I mean no disrespect, but are you short or particularly tall? It's a common failure mode that when the seat is pulled a way forward or back, the runners creak because of the reduced contact area.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
Six foot and seat is not right back. Had more problem with passenger seat track creaking when seat was right back. Not lubricated.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The missus is 5'6" and had this problem in the coupe' which is why I mentioned it - it's something that both we and the dealer have seen.

I think you could do worse than squirt some copper grease on the runners for a start.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Orion said:
I mean no disrespect, but are you short or particularly tall? It's a common failure mode that when the seat is pulled a way forward or back, the runners creak because of the reduced contact area.
And perhaps increased leverage due to the position of the seat, bringing any loose fixings to light?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Well yes, that too. But remember that in Tracey's case we are talking about Steve Collier's old car which, for reasons that I cannot quite understand, seems to be blessed with extraordinary build quality above and beyond what you might reasonably expect.

Either he loved that car more than is sane/healthy, or he got some heavy, heavy Longbridge Luck (tm).

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Orion said:
About 5' 10", but the seat is back quite a bit.

Thanks for all the advice, I have a nice aerosol of spray grease that should help with this :beer:

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Be wary using spray grease, it might not be runny enough to get into the joints and crevices of the seat frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts