MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem with two things:

1. My alarm wont stop going off i fixed that i taking the fuse out under the steering wheel but then it wont start till its in and the immobilizer then kicks in after a little while and the car wont start at all.

2. I cant get the central locking to work at all. Just have to open the doors manually.

help appreciated.

garage don't have a clue and cost too much, 110 to start it the other day after the immobilizer kicked in and cut the engine and it will happen again.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
my alarm mysteriously starting doing that today, i just locked it with the key though.

has yours always done tht??

I presume the reason the alarm is going off because the doors arn't all locking, as when I was at the garage the boot never closed properly & the alarm would always go off then, so I d look at the second option on your list before trying to fix the alarm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it doot is door.

I never thought of that, i was thinking there could be a short in the system that keep setting it off.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If [email protected] a later type with the round plip have a look at the alarm sounder under the expansion tank. These fill up with water & cause all sorts of probs. It's worth opening it up, drying out & sealing with silicon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alarm Probs

The Other Week My Alarm Kept Going Off Because Drivers Door Wasn't Locking.
Seems To Have Fixed Its Self Though By A Good Slam.
Opening With The Alarm Fob On Warm / Hot Days Never Fails To Set The Bloody Thing Of Either.
Glad I Live In Edinburgh So Alarm Only Goes Off On Both Hot Days!!!!

·
Registered
rover_45
358 Posts
Hi
Had an alarming (fnar fnar)problem myself yesterday - what happened was as I got in the car, in the process of pulling the door to shut it, my hand nudged the inner handle and set the central locking but with the door still not shut. So I pulled the handle to unlock the system again then shut the door. Without giving it another thought, I then turned on the ignition and the alarm went off, causing me (and probably all the neighbours) to s**t myself. Twin horns blaring out at 0550 on a Sunday is NOT the way to get on with everyone.... So now I keep well away from the inner handle when I'm getting in the car. I cancelled it at the time by pressing the unlock button on the remote. Certainly tested my reactions. Other than this, I've had no problems with either the alarm or immobiliser in the short time I've owned the car.
Pete

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
never heard them called doot's before? sheesh, where have you been? :daft: :lol:
Come on Tipp, didn't you know that Emps put forwards the suggestion that a back door should be called a doot back in 1956, and although they opted for tailgate Emps likes to carry on using it..I thought everybody knew that??:petevick: :rofl: :emps: :run!: :whistle:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the fuse immobilier and alarm out that stops, it changd the fuse, its still the same. I think it mite be a short in the fuse box, the door shuts proper just the handle is broke, the centrl locking dont work using the key ring at all has to be opened and closed mnanually,

sugestions.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Not sure abot the ZS, but if the door is opened with the CL then the fuse is removed, this disables the alarm as the car is then locked manually via the key and the alarm is never armed.
However the immobilser will/should work just as normal. That's how it works with the Lucas 2 button fob system, but not sure about the dodgy 3 button jobby.

·
Registered
36,503 Posts
brian eno-alike group Freur (who called themselves "squiggle" even before there was a symbol formerly known as Prince) famously said "we go doot doot".

The obvious inference - that they were imitating an alarm on a ZS - escaped me. Largely because this was just after the time the MG Metro was launched.

·
Registered
36,503 Posts
Not sure abot the ZS, but if the door is opened with the CL then the fuse is removed, this disables the alarm as the car is then locked manually via the key and the alarm is never armed.
However the immobilser will/should work just as normal. That's how it works with the Lucas 2 button fob system, but not sure about the dodgy 3 button jobby.
yes, are we talking a Mk1 ZS? the one without the "unlock" button on the dashboard?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts