MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, this is my first post, just hope someone can help.

I have a mk1 zs 180 in Spectre chromatic paint (code IAA) which I have picked up after its last owner had a bit of a mishap........

Anyway the car is all repaired, which was nice and straight forward, however I am having some serious difficulty getting hold of the paint required to finish it.

I need about a litre and a half. I have tried the paintshop number listed on one of the previous posts but they could not get it, apparantly this is due to it being only one of two available chromatic paints which are more difficult to get hold of than any of the other monogram paints.

The bloke at the bodyshop who I use for spraying isn't getting anywhere either, so im becoming desperate.

I know this paint is expensive, but that's not too much of a worry as I was expecting that, however what is a worry is that no-one seems to be able to get hold of any.........

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Cheers

Richie

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Try your nearest X-Part service centre (there is search on the site facility on the site to find your nearest one).
This is where I got mine from.

FYI MGR paints where made by a company called DuPont, so any DuPont dealer should be able to order it. The bad news is that it has to be mixed to order in the DuPont factory in the USA as that's the only place able to mix it. Mine took 3 days to arrive and was over £300 for a half US litre tin.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's bad news im afriad,

I have tried 2 local X-Part service centres with no luck.

I managed to track down one of the DuPont reps and after a long conversation the outcome is that they can no longer supply my paint.

After 1st jan this year new legislation came in to say that car paints manufactured after that date had to be waterbased, this paint was not so it's classed as a non compliant product, therefore they are no longer manufacturing it.

The guy in the paint shop is trying some other paint suppliers but it's not looking good.

Unless I can get some "off the shelf" from somewhere (ie surpluss stock) im stuffed, as this paint cannot be mixed by a paintshop in the normal way.

Not sure if this only applys to my colour, but it doesn't look good for anyone with a Monogram car.

PLEASE PLEASE let me know if anyone has any ideas (or a couple of litres in the garage!!)

Will keep you posted

Richie

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If it helps the DuPont stock code for Spectre is P4957.

You can find it at http://www.dupontrefinish.com and go to colour retrieval. Then click on "via manufacturer name and colour code". Enter 'rover' as the manufacturer, and then your paint code IAA.

Rich.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help guys, I would hate to have to paint the whole car and ruin it!

Trouble is im running out of options................

Im not sure how many zs's there are in this colour and I would like to keep mine as it left the factory.

I'll try all thats suggested to me and keep you informed.

Again Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated

Regards

Richie

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Hi Ritchy, if you can wait till after the weekend, I might be able to sort you a sorce out. Bear in mind that this paint costs over £500 litre, so you looking at at least £750 just for the paint......
Jim

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
I checked with my DuPont supplier here in Dublin this afternoon and they came back saying there was no problem with supplying that paint code, it is special order and would take 10-14 days.

No price available until it was ordered and quantity verified.

The story you got from the "rep" is a load of tosh.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
As far as I'm aware, its only the celulose paint that is now restricted in supply, but still readily available. I bought some 2k nightfire red on monday, no problems at all, and I think that paint will come as 2k.
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jim,

That would be great, all help appreciated.

After the weekend is no problem as im stuck anyway at the moment.

I can just about handle the cost as long as I can get some.........

Regards

Richie

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Give Technozen a PM as he has found a supplier, I would probably end up at the same place anyway! I hope you get it sorted, I've always wanted to see a spectra ZS!
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help guys,

Im going to try Technozen's supplier, Fingers crossed.......

I'll be sure to keep you all informed and post some pic's of the car when it's all finished.

Will update later in the week

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
I have the full address at work, will get it on Monday.

Not sure how it could be got to the UK though, can these products be sent
through the Post?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
when I worked for Amtrak parcels we used to pick up and deliver paint quite often, so I think that the suppliers shouldn't have any trouble sending it. I'm sure they will be well used to it.
Jim

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Looks like bad news I'm afraid.

I received a call from Spectrum Paints this morning, they had said they would get firm prices for me.

It seems that the binder used to make the ChromIllusion paint is no longer manufactured, they are going to check with DuPont USA to see if a substitute is available but for the moment it would indeed seem that this paint is unavailable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick update,

Im told by DuPont that they will be starting to manufacture ChromIllusion paint again, but........

It will be a "waterbased equlivient" and they are still working on the formula.

In short this means Spectre paint from DuPont will not be available for at least another 3 months.

Unfortunate as it is I have found a similar paint from a different supplier. It is looking more and more like I am going to have to paint the whole car.

The paint I have found is strikingly similar but also has a green flip in it.

I will keep everyone informed and will try and take some before and after pic's if I am forced down the route of painting the whole car.

Again I would like to thank everyone who has helped out, and at least if I do have to paint the whole car it can't be said we didn't try for the right paint first.

Update later in the week

Regards

Richie

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Hi!
Did you get this sorted, as I have found a place that claims to be able to supply the correct paint. Give me a shout if your still in need!
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Er, bit late im affraid, I'd be totally gutted if they could supply it.
The cars in getting a full re-spray in a colour called Aquarius, which is made by a company called Mica.
Will get some pic's up when it's done.
Thanks Anyway
Regards
Richie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts