MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my ZS Excite auto since December 2019 and just covered 1,000 miles. When I approach traffic lights and come to a stop, I engage neutral and the handbrake, keeping feet off of both the accelerator and brake pedal. The stop-start 'e' light flashes a few times and then stays off. The engine is still running. Recently, the engine has cut out as I come to a stop, and no pressing of the brake or accelerator will make it start again! I end up turning the ignition off and on again to restart the car. I've read the manual and although the car is behaving like it is going into 'start-stop', it doesn't start again. I've had a stop-start car before, so am used to the facility. This has confused me. Is my stop-start not behaving like it should, or it the car just cutting out in general.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Swimmy, have you tried switching off the stop/start, if so does this make a difference? Try to get as much detail as possible and then I would suggest that it is a trip back to your dealer.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't switched off the stop/start yet, as I am trying to replicate the issue. My issue is that my stop/start hardly ever works. Only just turned over 1,100 miles since picking up the car in December, but the stopping has been so infrequent, that in order to properly investigate the issue, I'll need more time. Hopefully, I can add to this discussion at a later date.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the ZS in with the dealer and they have replaced the crank sensor and performed a software update. They also recognised the knocking feeling from the steering and have diagnosed this as an issue with the steering column. Advised it's not unsafe to drive and they will get the ok from MG to order a new steering column. They even washed my car for me! Hopefully, all will be well now.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Had the ZS in with the dealer and they have replaced the crank sensor and performed a software update. They also recognised the knocking feeling from the steering and have diagnosed this as an issue with the steering column. Advised it's not unsafe to drive and they will get the ok from MG to order a new steering column. They even washed my car for me! Hopefully, all will be well now.
Hi SG,

Thanks for the update, it sounds like MG are having issues with the crankshaft sensor as it's not the first vehicle that I've heard having this issue.

At least things are moving on and hopefully the car will be good for a few years.

Cheers..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah thanks for the update and good that they will order new steering rack. Mines does that occasionally but was told by dealer to live with it for 6 months to see if it gets worse. They were certain that it was the steering column.

Keep us posted,

Mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After the software update, the car seems to be running fine now. What little driving around I can do at the moment, don't seem to be 'lumpy' anymore. MG Dealer called me this morning to say that the new steering column is ready for fitting, so my car is booked in for next week. I know that they are only doing this as I'm classed as a 'key worker'. Big thanks to Brysons MG of Prestwick, Scotland for their help, and great customer service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's great news.

If you can - when they replace the steering rack could you find out exactly what the fault was with the original which caused it to 'click'. This will help me when I take mine back to hopefully get replaced as well.

Kind regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So they replaced the steering rack yesterday. As it is a sealed unit, they didn't open it up but explained that the noise was coming from near the top of the column. They said that there are various joints and motors on the top of column which could have been at fault. On the subject of 'lumpy' running. They have forced a 'regen' and also suggested that I might wish to not solely use supermarket fuel when filling up. I'm still pondering that one. Surely, any fuel sold in the UK has to meet a minimum standard and all cars should be able to use this regardless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the update again. The dealership could be referring to the octane rating of the fuel but as you say they have to meet a minimum standard to be sold on UK forecourts, any of which would exceed that sold in China. Perhaps the 1.5 doesn’t like the bio ethanol content within UK fuels (currently 5%). I would contend that this is a problem for MG to sort out and is a cheap distraction for dealers to say when presented with issues such as this. Great news on the steering column though. I would agree the noise is coming from inside the plastic housing. Let us know if the replacement eradicates the problem for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can tell you already that the issue with the knocking noise has been completely eradicated. For the first time since December 2019, the stop start system is now working as it should be. My only issue - and this is a personal one - is that it seems to kick in if I've got my food on the brake pedal and in drive. I much prefer to sit in neutral at the traffic lights, with the handbrake on. But it does now appear to work and can be monitored on what little driving can be done at this time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts