MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a really lame question and my god do I feel old but.....

Which version i.e. the saloon v hatchback, has the biggest boot? I'm assuming the saloon but you know what they say about the power of assumption. I need to transport around my golf gear i.e. cart bag, electric trolley etc and it not be on show.

Also just out of interest, in the saloon version of the ZS do the rear seats fold down?

Wanted: MG ZS 180, budget up to £4250. No cars sponsored by NASA need apply.

Cheers

Dan

S

·
0 Posts
The saloon has a bigger boot but the hatch is more accessible and user friendly.

The 4 door: 470 litres
The 5 door: 370 litres

The rear seats in the saloon do go down but the bench doesn't allow the back rest to go down so the answer is 'NO' you can't get the rear seats down.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Another valid point, as a ZS180 hatch owner, is that the gap to load luggage on the saloon is very small.

Yes I think you could get your gold clubs in there no probs (I could in my old Coupe afterall), but you'd have to be careful not to hit the body work.

I'm very very very happy that I chose the hatch over the saloon. Can get my clubs, mountain bike and full camping equipment in there no probs!!

Adam

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I would say the hatch is maybe more practical, but the saloons boot is plentiful. I have the saloon and can get a lot of gear in there! It is bigger than you think.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
The seats do go down but not flat in a saloon - the opening also isnt full width - I get a full mobile disco in mine and 2 adults as well - Its a big disco ill have to attach piccys so you can see

Boot opening is restrictive though thats only problem

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
It all depends on WHAT you want to carry. My Mrs has the saloon becuase it carries kids and shopping and has a centre "real" seat belt int he rear. I have the hatch to take big stuff to the tip.

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
carlofbrigg said:
The seats do go down but not flat in a saloon - the opening also isnt full width - I get a full mobile disco in mine and 2 adults as well - Its a big disco ill have to attach piccys so you can see

Boot opening is restrictive though thats only problem
that's one happening boot there carl! Other people mod their cars to have the little lights on the outside...

The saloon is substantially longer than the hatch (don't have the exact measurements to hand) and the difference is in the boot. Having said that, the hatch is more practical in more ways than just "it fits in your garage".

I have had both and TBH I wouldn't really notice the hatch has a smaller boot. I got a whole garden tabletop in the boot of the hatch recently, behind the seatbacks and under the parcel shelf!

As Carl says, you can fold down the seat backs in the saloon but not the seat cushions, which will fold down into the rear footwell on the hatch so that the seat backs fold flat on the hatch.

Another thing to watch is that the U-shaped metal brackets which support the saloon's boot lid take up boot space when closed.

Finally, the inside of the boot lid and the underside of the parcel shelf are painted surfaces on the saloon. I would be scared of scratching them!

EDIT just found a brochure for the ZS. The hatch is 4370mm long, saloon is 4530mm long. I make that 172" and 178". Therefore the hatch is the length of the 420 Tourer and the saloon's boot is 6" longer!

·
Registered
196 Posts
The biggest reason I went for the hatch rather than the saloon. Boot may be smaller, but in real usability terms it's prolly larger..

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Its all about the size of the opening rather than the space inside - thats no reference to any young ladies ive met by the way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts