MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am John I have had the 1ltr ZS auto exclusive from new for about 4 months so far I have been very impressed with it It has done 2.200 miles .On a long Journey to Newquay Cornwall and back with one short stop each way it returned 50 mpg,we found it to be comfortable and fatigue free also easy to drive. I live in Seaford East Sussex and often go to Eastbourne on the A259 at one point I go down a steep incline with traffic lights at Old Town, when I stop at the lights I sit with my foot on the brakes when I accelerate away the quite often gear box will not change up and I have to move the selector into neutral and back to drive it then behaves normal the dealer here in Seaford don't seam very helpful. I wonder if any other owner has had this happen as I have had other automatic cars with no problems.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
take the car back to a dealers , explain the problem if they still want to do nothng about it then say you want to return the car as it is unfit for purpose if they still refuse to do anything , be polite and firm and just say very well as you wish to not do anything about the problem i will be contact solicitor to get a refund on the car as it is unfit for purpose .
also i would take a video as you are doing as proof you asked and done everything correctly ( they will try to tell you to stop filming refuse and say it is for yours and their safety if they start to say it is private property and they want you to leave just be polite say ok i have tried to be civil and polite about the problem again state you are unhappy and not able to use the car for the purpose for which it was built then just walk away and contact head office or a solicitor ), usaually as soon as they see you are recording it they will do something .
also make notes on when you have been before and told them about the problem including dates and if possible who you spoke too, take the paper with you when you go for reference that you have been before and give the dates and how many times you have been , make sure it is recorded so they can not deny it or say that you became offence or make up some **** to try and clear themselfs , make sure you get to speak to the manager , if possible get a phone number of their head office as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It shouldn't do that but please ensure that at traffic lights etc that you don't leave it in drive. If you are stopping for more than a few seconds then neutral should be used after all you wouldn't sit in a manual gearbox car with it in gear and the clutch pedal held to the floor would you? Mine is my first auto car and the salesman made a point of telling me on the test drive to use neutral and handbrake just as you would on a manual car. I have always done this and never had a problem.
I hope your problem gets sorted quickly.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take the car back to a dealers , explain the problem if they still want to do nothng about it then say you want to return the car as it is unfit for purpose if they still refuse to do anything , be polite and firm and just say very well as you wish to not do anything about the problem i will be contact solicitor to get a refund on the car as it is unfit for purpose .
also i would take a video as you are doing as proof you asked and done everything correctly ( they will try to tell you to stop filming refuse and say it is for yours and their safety if they start to say it is private property and they want you to leave just be polite say ok i have tried to be civil and polite about the problem again state you are unhappy and not able to use the car for the purpose for which it was built then just walk away and contact head office or a solicitor ), usaually as soon as they see you are recording it they will do something .
also make notes on when you have been before and told them about the problem including dates and if possible who you spoke too, take the paper with you when you go for reference that you have been before and give the dates and how many times you have been , make sure it is recorded so they can not deny it or say that you became offence or make up some **** to try and clear themselfs , make sure you get to speak to the manager , if possible get a phone number of their head office as well.
Ok Andy all noted thanks for reply

John

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It shouldn't do that but please ensure that at traffic lights etc that you don't leave it in drive. If you are stopping for more than a few seconds then neutral should be used after all you wouldn't sit in a manual gearbox car with it in gear and the clutch pedal held to the floor would you? Mine is my first auto car and the salesman made a point of telling me on the test drive to use neutral and handbrake just as you would on a manual car. I have always done this and never had a problem.
All the best...Chris.

Ok Chris yes I would also select neutral but at this junction the traffic light sequence is short, also are you pleased with the car I am, the car I had was a Vauxhall Astra 1.8 ltr auto estate prefer to drive this one many thanks for reply.
John

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi John, yes I am well pleased with my ZS which I have had for just over a year. You can read about in the thread that I started "my new ZS SUV". It is very comfortable on a long run even though I suffer from sciatica! It is nicely practical and is used for
all sorts of uses including trips to the skips etc. I have noticed that the chromework tarnishes quite quickly and needs polishing every few months, Autosol is still available and works well. My previous car was a Passat 2.0 ltr bluemotion and I have no regrets about changing.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi John, yes I am well pleased with my ZS which I have had for just over a year. You can read about in the thread that I started "my new ZS SUV". It is very comfortable on a long run even though I suffer from sciatica! It is nicely practical and is used for
all sorts of uses including trips to the skips etc. I have noticed that the chromework tarnishes quite quickly and needs polishing every few months, Autosol is still available and works well. My previous car was a Passat 2.0 ltr bluemotion and I have no regrets about changing.
All the best...Chris.
I Chris thanks for reply yes I also find mine very comfortable even on the long trip from here (Seaford East Sussex) Cornwall and back and very easy to drive.

John0:)

·
Registered
mg_zs
11 Posts
All the best...Chris.
I was always under the impression that it was best to leave an Auto in drive at lights. It does not mention anything in the ZS manual that I can see. I am certainly no expert so would also be interested in what others on here may think?
I am waiting for an ZS auto myself.

Thanks
UPDATE 6/9/19 Apologies, I have just re-read the online Handbook and it states exactly what you said, putting it in neutral at traffic lights and short stops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Omg
I too live in Seaford and the exact same thing is happening to mine.

I took it into Seaford MG for another issue and mentioned it to them.

They didn't want to fix the other issue under warranty but I showed them a link from the mg forum and they agreed it was warranty work.

They also said that this should fix the Eastbourne problem.

I haven't had a chance to drive into Eastbourne to check though.
It's worth keeping a link to this page and showing them it is happening to other drivers.
Click link below for other linked issue
MG Misfire

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was always under the impression that it was best to leave an Auto in drive at lights. It does not mention anything in the ZS manual that I can see. I am certainly no expert so would also be interested in what others on here may think?
I am waiting for an ZS auto myself.

Thanks
UPDATE 6/9/19 Apologies, I have just re-read the online Handbook and it states exactly what you said, putting it in neutral at traffic lights and short stops.
I can't find my handbook but

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi samcarroll it seems like mine is not the only one that does this but every time I have to stop at the junction even for less than a second it will not change up. The dealer in Seaford is very helpful but fails to get MG to sort out the problem. I wonder if you have encountered the problem anywhere else mine did one day decending the hill towards the visitor centre at Exceat a car was waiting to turn right and I had to stop these are the only places so far to cause the problem. If you would like to talk more you can use my email [email protected].

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
I complained to MG Horsham that the Start stop wasn't working well and safely enough. They adjusted the settings and works like a dream now. My only other issue was the Eastbourne bit and a misfiring light - this is a problem with MG Automatic

See here

·
Registered
1 Posts
was this problem ever sorted. as I've the same problem. after long down hill the car will not change up again. just had it back from dealer who said they need car for a week. and if there is a problem i have to pay first £1000..

2022 mg zs with 19k

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Topfual no the problem was never sorted and when the car was 3 years old I traded it in for the 2021 model this one is OK regarding the auto box. Cannot understand the £1000 charge if there is a fault I am left to believe that all the autos have the problem I found that slipping it into neutral and back to drive got it going. If you wish you can contact me on my [email protected] John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts