MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying a ZS180 have found one on a 'Y' plate. Not sure of the mileage etc because just found it in a local garage. But what should I look out for, whats it worth any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The obvious things really like the mileage, service history, condition of the wheels and tyres and general condition.

Has the cam belt been replaced? being the most important one as it is very close to requiring one at that age, and or mileage.

If all this is good then take it for a test drive to see if it pulls cleanly, especially after 3k, this will give a good indication of any any possible VIS valve faults. It should deliver a 'kick' at just over 3k.

As for price? depends on all the above and what are you prepared to pay for one. Anything from £3800 upto £4800 possibly, but that is a guesstimate!

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
stamford said:
...Has the cam belt been replaced? being the most important one as it is very close to requiring one at that age, and or mileage....
and when I was buying mine that was a major concern!

IIRC the cambelt service on the 180 is at 90k miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Except for the high-milers, that probably means a great many 180s are now looking at big bills next year and the work probably has not yet been done.

There are several cambelts, think I was told there are three, and the dealer will charge some £700 :yikes: for the work. Experts here have said they could shave £200 off that IIRC (not sure how much extra beer they then want).

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Yugguy said:
even it's tiny mileage don't pay any more than 3.5 to 4k.
if its a bit shoddy I agree with the above, if its half decent pay up to mid to high 4ks......for a Y reg though, 4k sounds about right if its in decent nick!

Adam

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OKay it has 64k miles full dealership service history. Interior and engine bay in mint condition a few marks on the bodywork but nothing that can't be t-cut out. But he wants 5k which includes 2 free services,3 months warranty and 12 months mot and road tax.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree, thats too much. If your not in a hurry hold on to your money and wait for the right car. It's worth it trust me. Mines like brand new and thats a nice feeling.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Bigbyte said:
I agree, thats too much. If your not in a hurry hold on to your money and wait for the right car. It's worth it trust me. Mines like brand new and thats a nice feeling.
Agreed, you can get newer and less miles for the same/less cash.

Of course, walk in there say that you'll give him 4k and if he says no walk away. You've got nothing to lose.

Adam

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
MGzr105 said:
OKay it has 64k miles full dealership service history. Interior and engine bay in mint condition a few marks on the bodywork but nothing that can't be t-cut out. But he wants 5k which includes 2 free services,3 months warranty and 12 months mot and road tax.
5k! Forget that. I saw a "Y" plate in better nick than that cheaper at a dealer's nine months ago.

Save your cash and buy a newer one! or cut the price. After all, the owner has to fork out that £700 next year...

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
there are always plenty of 180`s about forsale (people buy them cos they look like a nice idea but forget that they aint as cheap as a 1.1 corsa to run so they stick em up for sale after 6 months).What colour is it and is it 4 or 5 door - Ive noticed that trophy blue ones seam to go for less then other colours , probably becayuse there more common and easier to come by.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the only ZS180 local to me that has been forsale in the last 6 months and I have tried every local garage, private sale.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
In my opinion, the Y plate and 51 plate ones are the best!!

They were put into production and had NO cost cutting at all.

This means a multitude of things, such as carbon effect trim in the doors, which looks nice, better fabrics, etc.

Also, the early Z's and that includes for ZS and ZT, seemingly had more robust power units. Around 6 months thereafter, the cars started to appear that had oil consumption problems. I don't know what happened as I was not a powertrain engineer, but I would have a good bet that they tried to cut costs on the power unit somewhere as there were a lot of cars on mid to late 51 plates and after that ate oil and knackered bottom ends, etc. . . .

If I were gonna buy a ZS180, I may well hunt down a nice early example which seems nice, with a quiet engine, etc. . . .

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
MGzr105 said:
It's the only ZS180 local to me that has been forsale in the last 6 months and I have tried every local garage, private sale.
Where are you based?? Mine could be up for sale very soon as I'm looking to move out from home!!

Adam

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Workington in Cumbria a few miles from the scottish border so to far to travel down to Kent and would be looking at hopefully changing cars in 3 weeks. Plus don't like hatchbacks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Adam,

How much would you be looking at and what are the details.

I live in near Gillingham (Medway Towns) and am going to be looking soon at replacing my Rover 25 with an MGZS 180. (Have been starting to save up)

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a nice 02 plate 35k mileage full service history. Looks a nice car gonna view it on sunday the best part the price £4500 ono.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I am now the very proud owner of a 51 plate MG ZS180 mint condition and goes like well fast. Awesome power delivery compared to my ZR.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts