MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just noticed that my 180 is prone to depositing large splotches of oil under the engine.

But only sometimes!

On Friday, I drove it over 100 miles at speed (and in stop-start queues) and it made a large splotch.

On Saturday, I drove into town and back and it made a little splotch.

Then I put a tray under the engine.

On Sunday, I drove to town again. Nary a splotch.

Is this related to the "catch tank"(?) mod?

·
Registered
36,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where abouts is your splotch sir?
May your catch tank be leaking??
All I know is "somewhere under the front sometimes". IIRC rapid yellow explained a catch tank mod to me but the car is AFAIK unmodified. Some item or gasket must be leaking...Is a catch tank a standard fit?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Seems you have a leak somewhere and a catch tank is not standard, it is an add on. Suggest you check underneath for signs of leakage and trace it back, does seem unusual though, yours is fairly new isn't it?

·
Registered
36,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

All I know is "it's under the front bit somewhere". Come to think of it, doesn't an air filter look like a frying pan?

When I pushed that tray under the car, I wasn't really sure where to put it. It's only approaching its third birthday but having had my 420 Tourer I am used to the engine leaking oil...

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Cam cap seals are becoming a bit common to falling out atm from various reports up and down the uk but you will know quite quickly if this has happened.......3 litres + of 10/40 on the floor and a ticking noise.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'd go with Shroonie's suggestion as a first check - a reasonable amount of oil gets thrown back in to tha air intake and a lot of that runs down to the air filter box. If the plastic push fit pieces that join the resonator box and filter housing aren't perfectly aligned, there's a gap for this oil to seep out - but it only 'seeps' out on mine.

I hope that's all it is.

All the best.

Gary

·
Registered
36,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd go with Shroonie's suggestion as a first check - a reasonable amount of oil gets thrown back in to tha air intake and a lot of that runs down to the air filter box. If the plastic push fit pieces that join the resonator box and filter housing aren't perfectly aligned, there's a gap for this oil to seep out - but it only 'seeps' out on mine.

I hope that's all it is.

All the best.

Gary
Thanks. A useless Rover dealer did once return my car from a service with no sump plug, so I know how much oil that looks like - BP were allegedly interested - but it's not as much as that, just enough for a "splotch" of which I've had a couple of biggies recently.

Without a Haynes manual, I stand no more chance of locating these bits than I would sorting out what's what on a nuclear fusion accelerator. In fact, you've probably heard the boffins made a boo-boo in the measurements of the magnets at CERN - I knew I shouldn't have done that job. Is this something a bloke can do who has only managed to work out that the engine is in the front because the oil is dripping from that end?

·
Registered
36,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll get the Marigolds out then... :lol:
Update - did that this morning and thought "I'll just reach down under this then..." and by the time my elbow had disappeared, realised that this small plastic square is just the tip of the iceberg!

There was no oil on the bottom part of the casing underneath it.

Eventually got the top off and was immediately expecting bees - it looked like one of those things you collect honey on out of a hive! Must be a "non-frying-pan-shaped" honey-coloured air filter, then.

It was 1) completely dry 2) completely free of discolouration from e.g. oil...

Blew some dust off, and put it back...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts