MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most folks will probably know this already, but as I didn't it may help the ill informed not to make the same mistake as me.

For those who have a space saver as a spare on the ZS 180 be aware that you should only fit this to the rear wheels and NOT the fronts. It does inform you of this in the handbook but it's quite easy to overlook when you're in a panic at the side of the road trying to get going again. The space saver will
fit onto the front wheels but grinds on the brakes/discs when you try to take off. If you have a puncture on the front, you need to replace it with a rear wheel and put the space saver onto the removed rear.

Fingers crossed there is no lasting damage from this oversight:errx2:

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
If you read the handbook it DOES tell you that you should always use space-saver wheels on the rear and NOT the front for this very reason - i.e. the front disc brkaes are too large to fit them on to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rapid Yellow said:
If you read the handbook it DOES tell you that you should always use space-saver wheels on the rear and NOT the front for this very reason - i.e. the front disc brkaes are too large to fit them on to.
Yep it certainly does tell you in the handbook and I stated this in the starting thread (did you read it all?). But when you get a flat on a dark night on a twisty back road somewhere in the middle of nowhere someone might just miss that little square box that informs you of this. Even the ex MG dealership didn't know this fact and gave me a new space saver.

Oh and please don't shout, I've had enough trauma for one week thanks!

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
well kewe, if it helps, all the time I had the space saver spare I knew there was an issue about fitting it, but I never realised it might involve moving other wheels round. And I certainly would not have realised that was how it worked, under pressure.

All the best...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
patpending said:
well kewe, if it helps, all the time I had the space saver spare I knew there was an issue about fitting it, but I never realised it might involve moving other wheels round. And I certainly would not have realised that was how it worked, under pressure.

All the best...
Cheers mate. I just don't want others to make the same mistake as it could do some serious damage and I'm sure not everyone reads every part of the handbook before they step inside their new car.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
full size spare best way to go - there is a copmpany on e bay sells set of 4 brand new ones - so if y4 people all want a spare you could get together and buy a set , probably cheaper than buying individual - (like to pointb out I have a spare so dont need one )

you also need to make a new screwing down thingy that longer than the original one

all i used was the black spacer thing from under the ond red screw down thing 2 nuts and a piece of 8mm threaded rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts