MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
[edit] ZS 180!!!!! [/edit]

Hi gents.

Just wondering if anyone can assist.

Im a passenger in my mates car, which won't start.
My own breakdown cover should cover "the dogs *******s" acording to the policy details i previously read.
but they are saying I don't have that cover with them...
anyway.

symptons are...

listening to music for 20-30 mins without engine on...
But with lights on.

lights became dim with we though we'd turn music off and start the car to make sure its carging battery.

car wouldn;t start...
not turning engin over - battery not having the power.

push started the car, and got it running -very roughly - idling rather high.
noticed the rev counter is not working - I know on my old vaxhaull this indicated alternator, is this the same with MG ZS?

Any ideas to get us home?

Cheers...

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
The battery is probably really flat so is sapping power which is why the revs are high. The ECU is kicking up the revs in an attempt to stabilise the charge.
If the battery light on the dash stays on then the alternator is kaput or it's a connection problem.

Get the car started and rev it proper for a good few mins.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Could be the wiring to the alternator, rather than the alternator itself. It does sound as though the battery wasn't being charged though, it shouldn't be completely dead after 30 minutes of music and lights (unless you've got a massive power-draining stereo, or a knackered battery)

You could run the car off the battery for a while if you can get it charged, although i'm not sure if you'd get 160 miles (certainly not in the dark).

With regard to breakdown cover, i'd recommend a company i am with called auto-aid. For £30 odd quid a year, you get just about everything included thats on top-level AA cover for any car you are in. Just about the only difference is that they arrange local recovery firms to pick you up, rather than sending a yellow van to do it. You pay the recovery firm, then auto-aid send you a cheque through the post.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Lights on and stereo on will rapidly discharge a battery, so it doesn't have enough cramking power.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
cheers guys...

battery is flat.
Battery light on the dash does stay on.

got car started and idle for 5-10 minutes, but revs actually became really unstable - going up and down contently...

Also noticed that the radiator fan stays on... then goes off, and then back on again... contently (should imagine by now its off, but prob because battery is dead).

I work for RBS, who own and manage Green flag (who my breakdown is with) (I deal with their faulty computer systems etc...) So I know they have allot of similar problems. being bank holiday means that can't ensure I won't get charged for extra services if I use them.

[edit] fully standard cd player/speakers etc... (in fact whole car is standard)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes, having read it again, the dimming of the lights does suggest the battery was gradually drained.

I'd guess the battery would be on its way out though, as i still don't believe a healthy battery would be completely drained in that time, to the point where the alternator struggles to cope with the power drain once started.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I work for RBS, who own and manage Green flag (who my breakdown is with) (I deal with their faulty computer systems etc...) So I know they have allot of similar problems. being bank holiday means that can't ensure I won't get charged for extra services if I use them.

Sorry, don't get what you mean by this! Who has similar problems? Rovers?, green flag?, the company i recommended?!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I meant with them getting problems across their systems saying customer have a set type of cover, but they actuially have better cover than the system reoports...

In other words, after the bank holiday I will be able to user my breakdown cover... but not atm..

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Yes, having read it again, the dimming of the lights does suggest the battery was gradually drained.

I'd guess the battery would be on its way out though, as i still don't believe a healthy battery would be completely drained in that time, to the point where the alternator struggles to cope with the power drain once started.
What, HEADLIGHTS on for 1/2 hour?

Of course that will drain a battery.

Headlights are heavy drain.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
With regard to breakdown cover, i'd recommend a company i am with called auto-aid. For £30 odd quid a year, you get just about everything included thats on top-level AA cover for any car you are in. Just about the only difference is that they arrange local recovery firms to pick you up, rather than sending a yellow van to do it. You pay the recovery firm, then auto-aid send you a cheque through the post.
and knowing how much a reccer costed about 3 1/2 years ago (and allowing for inflation) I'd rather pay for the big boys by DD and not have to worry about paying on scene. Recovery is very expensive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts