MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any easy upgrade for the brakes on an MG ZS180?

I have a 53 plate and love it except for the brakes!
The model I test drove was the same, so I know it's not just mine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Hey, Welcome to the forum:)

Most people on this forum, uprage to the 282mm zs180 brakes!
These are the lads with 200bhp+ turbo cars....

Whats up with yours then?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It already has the 282mm brakes!

Let's put it this way, my ZS180 was in for some work and the garage lent me a Citroen C3. Now as much as I hated the little box, the brakes were about a billion times better than my ZS180.
Even my old 25 used to stop quicker.
I know the ZS is a lot heavier but it's got discs all round and chunking greater big ones on the front. It's just a bit pants at stopping and I don't trust it that much as a result.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Shy_Guy said:
It already has the 282mm brakes!

Let's put it this way, my ZS180 was in for some work and the garage lent me a Citroen C3. Now as much as I hated the little box, the brakes were about a billion times better than my ZS180.
Even my old 25 used to stop quicker.
I know the ZS is a lot heavier but it's got discs all round and chunking greater big ones on the front. It's just a bit pants at stopping and I don't trust it that much as a result.

Wow, I didn't realise their stoppers were a bit inadequate!

I suppose there is always the standard grooved/drilled disc route, and some suitable upgraded pads. Be interesting to see what others say..

CAM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it'll be very interesting to hear what others say.

I haven't really had to stamp on them yet, but I certainly did in the test drive car. It may have stopped quickly but to be honest it didn't feel like it, rock solid and stable yes, quickly no - they're not bad, just not amazing either (I would say very average stopping).

I suppose I might be after too much, the car is so damn quick that it would be nice if the brakes matched the engine, even if it means a brakes upgrade!
Any one know where I can get a diagnostic lead for one too?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
If the 25 stopped better, then there is something wrong with the ones on your ZS180. Not in a million years as the 262mm ones even comparible.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Only driven one ZS180 and the brakes on that were superb as are those on my ZS120 which are smaller diameter discs I believe.

Indeed, a ZS180 brake upgrade is a favourite one for Rover Coupe owners.

I wonder if your car's stoppers are below par in some way. Tyres and steering play their part in stopping too.

BTW, the brakes on my Tomcat Turbo are fine, not as good as the ZS but more than adequate. When I first got the car I did not think they were as good as they should be. The previous owner had fitted Tarox slotted discs, braided hoses and EBC pads all round. I removed each of the four calipers in turn, cleaned and regreased the sliders to ensure correct operation and fitted new UNIPART replacement OE pads all round at the same time. The brakes were transformed! I suspect the condition and operation of the sliders is the key to good braking as a similar exercise on a friend's MG Montego Turbo transformed his brakes too.

Or just maybe you're a bit heavy on the old stoppers ......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not that the 25 stopped better, but the ZS180 with the extra weight is about the same.
And take into account the car is a lot quicker!

It's just that I always thought, get a quick car and drive it slowly and you'de get the benefit of amazing handling thats designed for much quicker speeds and amazing brakes that are also designed for much quicker speeds.
The handling IS truely amazing, especially after the 25!
But I can honestly say i'm a bit dissapointed with the brakes, they do the job but nothing more...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stu said:
Wilwood do some 300+mm ones though.
I checked out the Wilwood brakes, they look the mutt nuts to me.
I couldn't find the MG listed though so filled out the form on the site.

I'll wait and see what they say.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Shy_Guy said:
I checked out the Wilwood brakes, they look the mutt nuts to me.
I couldn't find the MG listed though so filled out the form on the site.

I'll wait and see what they say.

Thanks...
Whilst waiting better arrange a mortgage - nice stoppers but very pricey. Still think you should have you car's brakes given a onceover.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
how old is youre car? if its over 2 years can u see if it noted down as haveing the break fliud changed? could get youre dealer to check the breaks on there mot equipment should so any imbalance but i dought it would fail on any thing.

other than that its time to look at up grading groved disks and EBC green stuff pads would be a cheep way or you can get a 30mm convertion

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
i've got the full ZR160 set up on my car and they're amazing on the car! i intend to take the car out at Castle Combe this year, so i'm happy that these will stop me :D

·
Premium Member
43,249 Posts
I'm amazed that you think the brakes are insufficient for the ZS180. As an owner of a ZS180 for 3.5 years I can honestly say I have seldom seen a car that can stop so quickly and accuratly. Even if I really push the ZS it stops rapidly and in a straight line. I suggest you get them checked out pronto if you're unhappy with them, or slow down, a lot :lol:

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Liamm83 said:
The 300mm ones should fit fine, someone posted the other day who had them on their rover 25.
Clare is the person you are thinking of.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
You must have something wrong with the brakes.

They should be stopping the car perfectly.
I would get the brake fluid changed.
What symptoms do you have? Hard or soft pedal?
Brake fade? Long time to stop?
More info needed....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts