MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Can you tell me how easy it is to get the lower part of the bumper off?

I am getting a lot of stone chipping on this area only.
I am getting it re painted and then having a company called Armourfend place a thin shielding material over the area to prevent more damage. Only trouble is I have to wait 3 weeks between respray and Arourfend and I dont want the part on the car getting more damage.

regards

·
Registered
585 Posts
By the lower part of the bumper I presume you mean the bib spoiler, I've just done this in reverse on my Rover 45 (put one on). However in your case to remove it you need to remove several screws and several scrivets(plastic screw/rivets), from memory there should be a screw at the bottom of each front wheelarch and I think seven scrivets holding it underneath the bumper. The front of the spoiler is secured with adhesive tape along its top edge under the lower intake and foglamps. If you have one of the MGRover manuals sold on ebay it is in there. Hope this helps. Chris

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Chris,

How do these "Scrivets" come off? and are they breakable?

I would also like to know if anyone has experience of Amour Fend as a product to protect against stone chipping?

·
Registered
78 Posts
they are a good company and product, we used them to protect the paintwork on the Tvr's and Noble's.
does not look too out of place either...

·
Registered
585 Posts
steve'o said:
Thanx Chris,

How do these "Scrivets" come off? and are they breakable?

I would also like to know if anyone has experience of Amour Fend as a product to protect against stone chipping?
They consist of a central plastic screw which screws in and out of the central rivet which splays out in 4 directions to hold the panel. If you open your boot/hatch and look at the top of the rear bumper you will see 4 or 5 of them to see what they are like. My experience is that you need to possibly replace them the Pozi head can round off. My local Xpart dealer sold them in packs of 5 (sorry I cant remember how much they were, I have quite alot of them as I got to many. There are several different types on the car, when I get home I'll let you have the part no and the price.

Chris:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Further to the above a pack of the large "scrivets" is part no. DYC101260 and they cost 33p each (5 in a pack). I did find that some of the wheelarch liner "scrivets" were a smaller size and the one's that hold the bumper around the headlights are different altogether, I need to replace some of these so I will have to visit xpart again.

Be careful tightening them as they strip very easily especially if you keep taking the bumper of, as I have.

Chris

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

This information is great!
And it's good to hear that Amour Fend seems a good product.

Only one more question I suppose Chris, What Tape did you use when putting the lower skirt back on?

Steve'o

·
Registered
585 Posts
steve'o said:
Guys,

This information is great!
And it's good to hear that Amour Fend seems a good product.

Only one more question I suppose Chris, What Tape did you use when putting the lower skirt back on?

Steve'o
Well to be honest I didn't use tape because as I was installing from scratch
I decided to bolt the bib instead of using scrivets (If you look at the picture in my photo link you can just make out the bolts). The holes for the scrivets were not in my bumper but yours will have the scrivets already in place. If I do finally use tape I have a roll of double-sided bodypanel tape unfortunatly I can't remember what make it is, I'm pretty sure 3m do something you can use, a motor factors or paint factors should be able to supply. Contact me if you need any more info..

Chris

·
Registered
mg_zs
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cjsale said:
Well to be honest I didn't use tape because as I was installing from scratch
I decided to bolt the bib instead of using scrivets (If you look at the picture in my photo link you can just make out the bolts). The holes for the scrivets were not in my bumper but yours will have the scrivets already in place. If I do finally use tape I have a roll of double-sided bodypanel tape unfortunatly I can't remember what make it is, I'm pretty sure 3m do something you can use, a motor factors or paint factors should be able to supply. Contact me if you need any more info..

Chris

Erm! I feel bit of a numpty but where is your Picture link?
I cant find you in the Members gallery

1 - 10 of 10 Posts