MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter-in-law has been quoted £710 for head gasket change, is this about right.
She loses about 3/4 pint water every other week, apart from that car is ok.
Must admit when I looked I did see a small amount of mayo under oil filler cap.
But £710 from MG Dealer souunds a bit steep to me, can anyone offer any guiidance.

TerryF

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
£710 probably sounds about right for a dealer. They cost a fortune.

A HG repair can set you back anywhere from £250 to £800 depending on who you go to.

Mine was in the region of £500 when i had my 214 done. I would say anything above £550 is probably robbery unless they need to do a heavy skim of the head.

My head was skimmed, and all gaskets replaced (cam cover, head gasket, inlet manifold and exhaust manifold), cam belt done, new head bolts and everything else. I had no mayo though. I had it done straight away.

It all depends on how competent people are, whether they have the tools needed there and then, and all sorts of other things.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I don't know what difference it makes but apparently the car has a Lotus engine in it.

The quote for £710 came from her regular garage.

TerryF

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Head Gasket

Can you have a head gasket failure if the car passes a pressure test.

It seems the same garage quoting for head gasket replacement actually carried out a pressure test a week ago and reported everything OK.

TerryF

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Losing water doesn't necessarily mean there's a head gasket problem. There are others on the forum who will come along to educate, but as an example of other possible reasons for water loss - the cap on the expansion tank is prone to failure meaning that as pressure builds, steam / water escapes. Haven't seen this, but would imagine brown stains to the bonnet sound proofing where the tank is.

Best get a second opinion. It may well be head gasket failure - might not.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I don't know what difference it makes but apparently the car has a Lotus engine in it.

The quote for £710 came from her regular garage.

TerryF
That's priceless Terry - it's the other way around - lotus elises up to about 2004/5 have Rover engines. :haha:

Don't let him charge you more for working on a lotus engine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I dod my own 420 head gasket water pump raditaor and thermostat in a weekend for £200... hell i'll do it if you pay me the extra £500 - lol! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
£710 Thats a Rip off, theres a bloke on ebay who will come to your house and do it for £300 or £400 if cam belt needs replacing, easy way to tell its a HGF is get the car running at normal temperture just under half way on the gauge and put the heater fans on full if no hot air then HGF.

PS if it is HGF get the New HGF bulit for the Freelander as this will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
New quote from different garage. £625 renew head gasket, skim head if neccessary, new timing belt, new water pump, flush and degrease cooling system, flush oil system and refill with new filter.

Does this seem better?
Edit: forgot to mention they are servicing the air con too.

TerryF

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
New quote from different garage. £625 renew head gasket, skim head if neccessary, new timing belt, new water pump, flush and degrease cooling system, flush oil system and refill with new filter.

Does this seem better?
Edit: forgot to mention they are servicing the air con too.

TerryF
Take off £80 for the AC service and that seems more reasonable, could certanly be done cheaper but then there is always the risk of getting what you pay for.

For the record, what age / mileage is the car?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm told 51 plate K4 engine 46k miles.

It didn't help that it was topped up with the blue antifreeze at some time.

TerryF

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm told 51 plate K4 engine 46k miles.

It didn't help that it was topped up with the blue antifreeze at some time.

TerryF
I've used blue anti freeze!?!? Been ok for last 11,000miles since i fixed my own HG.

This is the head gasket you want and ideally the oil rail too and that should minimise the risks of HGF even further. Pics courtesy of Dr Dave!

Landrover K series Head gasket and oil rail:

And the shim that sits on top of the head gasket:

Not too bad a price from a garage in my opinion considering the time involved. May cost slightly more with the land rover gasket but definately worth it.

Markus

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Marcus

I saw somewhere on the forum OAT should not have the blue stuff added to it because they are incompatible, I assume you had blue only in yours, not a mixture.

Terry

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks Marcus

I saw somewhere on the forum OAT should not have the blue stuff added to it because they are incompatible, I assume you had blue only in yours, not a mixture.

Terry
Yep, after i did the head gasket change i wasn';t aware of the different types so just used the blue stuff. The whole system was empty though so it was only blue in it from then on.

I didn't know about the land rover gasket back then either but if the HG goes again i will be using that! I've done ok though...first rover head gasket change i'd done and its still ok now after 11,000miles so i'm happy!

All the best,
Markus:D

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The anti-freeze needs to be OAT.

Some of the blue ones aren't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts