MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago it seemed to be confirmed that ZR and ZS would be produced at China and ZT and TF would be produced at Longbridge.

But now i'm really confused!!!:irked:

1- ZT production line remains at Longbridge, but we hear Nanjing saying this car is going to be produced at China;

2- PVH said it owns some very important tools for the TF production and now Nanjing don't confirm the date and the place for the production of this car.

I'm very worried about this, because I don't want to buy an MG made in China :err:
So my queston is...WHAT'S HAPPENING???:banghead:

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
Tiago Bueso said:
...I don't want to buy an MG made in China :err: ...
hi Tiago!

TBH, I'll buy an MG wherever it's made if it's good enough. I mean, I used to live in the Morris Garages building in Oxford - perhaps I should put my name down on a flat in Longbridge...(I would prefer not to be able to, but that's life...)

I know some people say:

"Real MGs are sportscars only"

"Real MGs are made in Abingdon only"

they might once have thought that MGs should come from Oxford or must be sportier versions of Morrises. Would that give us the MG Marina?

I think your chances of getting a TF from Longbridge (see other thread) are far higher than mine of getting a new RHD ZS hatch from anywhere in the world :( ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
patpending said:
hi Tiago!

TBH, I'll buy an MG wherever it's made if it's good enough. I mean, I used to live in the Morris Garages building in Oxford - perhaps I should put my name down on a flat in Longbridge...(I would prefer not to be able to, but that's life...)

I know some people say:

"Real MGs are sportscars only"

"Real MGs are made in Abingdon only"

they might once have thought that MGs should come from Oxford or must be sportier versions of Morrises. Would that give us the MG Marina?

I think your chances of getting a TF from Longbridge (see other thread) are far higher than mine of getting a new RHD ZS hatch from anywhere in the world :( ...
I AGREE WITH TIAGO! All of my MGs have been made in Abingdon and having seen them build MGs I know it was a "special" place. But I personally would settle for anywhere IN ENGLAND. It is important to many of us here in USA. I hope Nanjing considers this if they plan to export here.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Go

All I want at the moment is-

An MG or Rover badged hatchback

I don't care where it's made aslong is it contains some form of British input- whether it be design, engine, componments

I will buy a new ZR if quality is good enough and it is rightly priced

I would prefer if the manufacturer was British owned (evenly partly). nanjing are always talking of part ownership to P. Kimber and ex-powertrain people, so who knows...
________
Second-generation camaro

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
ChrisMG said:
All I want at the moment is-

An MG or Rover badged hatchback

I don't care where it's made aslong is it contains some form of British input- whether it be design, engine, componments

I will buy a new ZR if quality is good enough and it is rightly priced

I would prefer if the manufacturer was British owned (evenly partly). nanjing are always talking of part ownership to P. Kimber and ex-powertrain people, so who knows...
You'd rather have a MG or Rover designed in the UK but built in China ?

What about all the excellent Hondas' that are designed at Windsor and built in Swindon, or the new Toyota models built in Derby. British workers and manufacturing interests first, brands a distant second I'm afraid.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Go

Nick Birse said:

What about all the excellent Hondas' that are designed at Windsor and built in Swindon, or the new Toyota models built in Derby. British workers and manufacturing interests first, brands a distant second I'm afraid.
Fair point, but sadly I cannot afford any of them!

I could afford a Nissan Micra but... I am a bloke!

Your right though. It will help britain as much as buying a B*W!

Perhaps I will save my cash and buy a baby Landy (if its realesed) in a few years time. That should be fully British designed and built, it will probally cost a bomb though.
________
Mercedes-Benz 600 (Disambiguation) History

·
Registered
rover_100
648 Posts
Nick Birse said:

True but brands are important. My parents have a new Nissan Micra and I have a Rover Streetwise. Both build in the UK but it never feels the same I still see the Nissan as Japanese.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Go

Serge Jonkers said:
True but brands are important. My parents have a new Nissan Micra and I have a Rover Streetwise. Both build in the UK but it never feels the same I still see the Nissan as Japanese.
True, but these guys seem to be pretty proud!

But I know what you mean,

I sometimes serisouly reckon if you put an MG badge on most Honda's and tweaked the interiors a bit they would look British.

Having said that thats exactally what the ZS is lol.
________
Ford Rheinland

·
Registered
rover_100
648 Posts
Tiago Bueso said:
Can anyone answer my question on the thread title, please?:taz:
We don't know what is happening at the moment. Latest news is that Nanjing is recruiting workers for building the TF so this one is coming from Longbridge (PVH is no problem they are in bed with Nanjing)

The ZT line is still there so I think they will use it but how and when ?

Nothing concret but it al seems a little more positive !!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
2,127 Posts
will nanging produce mg zs ? dosent have honda the production right about this model?

you would have alot experience in mg garage and stories to talk ,patpending,sound interesting ,cheers

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
ursus-2 said:
will nanging produce mg zs ? dosent have honda the production right about this model?

you would have alot experience in mg garage and stories to talk ,patpending,sound interesting ,cheers
There were mutterings about a saloon, estate and possibly a hatchback a few weeks back. Perhaps Nanjing have done a deal with Honda to buy production equipment and design rights (though where they would get the money is anybodies guess).

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Last I heard was that Honda had removed / destroyed everything associated with either Rover 45 or ZS at Longbridge. They owned the car so would not allow anyone else to use their design or tooling.

75 is a real Rover as is 25 so derivatives easily possible.

The last rumour was that the chinese were building accomodation at Longbdrige for their workers to stay in the UK building cars.

Not much hope for Rover lads to get their jobs back!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
2,127 Posts
would be a great idea still use this car ,with a old chassis but with a great handling ,i could to imagine how would be this mg zs with ESP system (without HGF too lol),i love my car by his handling but idont like his excess of body roll

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
in previous threads and nanjing have said the zs will be built as a saloon and tourer
i believe ive read before honda did not have the rights too the saloon as mg-rover developed it themselves
how the tourer fits in i dont know either honda had no rights to it (ie as saloon) or nanjing have done some kind of deal??!!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
2,127 Posts
a true pain heard that forehead ,but i cannt believe that in uk where they design and built the best cars of the wolrd (remenber where is the majority F 1 car builder ) , have a poor motomobile industry .the first globalization victims ? cheers

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
forehead said:
The last rumour was that the chinese were building accomodation at Longbdrige for their workers to stay in the UK building cars.

Not much hope for Rover lads to get their jobs back!
Nope, think you'll find they are for the removal of the 25/45 lines and anything else that's going back to China.

I think the Government would have something to say about Nanjing bringing over workers to the UK when the local ex-workers can do the job.

But I don't think they'd really want to hire ex workers to dismantle the lines!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Nope, think you'll find they are for the removal of the 25/45 lines and anything else that's going back to China.

I think the Government would have something to say about Nanjing bringing over workers to the UK when the local ex-workers can do the job.

But I don't think they'd really want to hire ex workers to dismantle the lines!!
I'd imagine the same team will reassemble the production lines over in Nanjing, it's fairly common practice to use a single engineering team for a large project such as this. IIRC, LDV did the same when they moved the Maxus production lines from Daewoo plant in Poland to Drews Lane.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts