MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have recently bought a MG ZR 160.
When I bought it the engine was ticking, so I took the engine apart to see what was causing the tick. I discovered 4 tappets, that were not working properly, so I changed them and started putting the engine back together. Suddenly I discovered a coolant leak. It was leaking between the block and the cylinder head. After countless hours of swearing I finally decided to remove the cylinder head, to change the head gasket. What I found was surprising and quite unexplainable (at least for me). The cylinder block had small dents in it, between the valves.

The engine was working before I took it apart. The previous owner said that he had had problems with the engine before, he said something about a tick in the lower part of the engine, but said he fixed it, and after that the engine tick was gone for a short while but reappeared in the upper part of the engine. I dont know if he had changed the cylinder head or if this is the original cylinder head. What should I do? Should I start looking for a new cylinder head or would changing the head gasket and leaving the same head not cause any extra problems?

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes, English is not my native language.

Be sure to ask any extra questions if some parts of my post were unclear.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
My guess would be the cam belt went and exhaust valves were bent and replaced. Any damage on the pistons?

If it were me, unless there was an obvious replacement head available I’d clean it up, check it’s flat and test whether the valves are sealing effectively. Also, any damage that explains the leak, or was that just a bad gasket or seal? After checking carefully decide what to do...

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,683 Posts
You can buy one refurbed if you can't be bothered cleaning up a used one but I would get a used one from a reputable ebay seller and clean it up yourself or with a friend to save a few quid and get peice of mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts