MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am currently selling my car, and hoping to get another ZR. I previoulsy had a 160, but sold it last September for my current car which is not a rover/mg. I need a car which does better mpg than mine, and looking at the spec for the 105 it does just that, and I do miss my old 160. Once I have sold my car I should have approx £4500-£4700 to spend, I am after a low mileage example, any ideas at what I should be looking at for that kind of money? I have seen some nice ones on Autotrader etc, but I want one of the + models as I want the luxuries!! etc, is this amount enough to get a nice 'minter' 105?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A ZS?, surely they have a lower mpg?, I am after a ZR as it will do upto 51mpg on a run, and I do 40 miles a day of which most is on the motorway.

Regards

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The 160 will be more economical than the 105 on the motorway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
oh my it will feel alot different to drive than the 160 :p is that the only reason to downgrade because of the mpg as im looking at getting rid of my 04 plate next year for a zs 190 or a zr 160

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, at the moment it costs me about £30 per week in fuel, I need to cut this if I can as it is expenditure I can do without. I liked the way the 160 I had drove, and thought that a good compromise would be to get the 105, plus I could save on the tax and insurance. Are the ZS's any good regards the MPG, anyone know what the tax is on a ZR 160?, I also remember the costs associated with the 160, especially the cambelt change, very tricky and not cheap, on the flipside the performance from a 1.8 was great.

Regards

·
Registered
105 Posts
ohh i read the info about the 160 with envy eyes i ador them cars if it wernt for my insurance id say here want to swap for my 105 :):)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure about the ZS td, reviews have said to steer clear of these, plus they are not built that well are they? for my budget there are no decent ones on Autotrader, I don't want one that has high miles. Are the ZR 105's no good then, cos that seems the general opinion so far.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I don't think the ZS TD's are built any worse than any ZR or ZS.

I would certainly look at the ZR TD 115 or ZS TD 115 if economy is your priority. Rover_Ron can also give you tips on getting more horsepower, without affecting your fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I'd go for the TD ZS if I were you like these guys are saying, I nearly went for it & all I wanted was some fun. My ZS 120 is doing nearly as many MPG as my rover 25 1.4( 105 ) & thats town driving so if you doing long miles I'm sure the 1.8 (120) would be more suitable.

Only problems with the ZS diesel is FINDING one, lol & then they are about 1000 pounds more just because they are a diesel. (Although the petrols do sound so much nicer than the diesels, but I'm sure you can live with that for the MPG , plus tax & insurance I believe is cheaper )

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it is finding one, that is the problem!, I have not seen any within my price range that don't have high miles. In regards the ZS 120 what is the MPG?, and I did read a review saying this was the worse model to have?! Would I be best avoiding the ZR 105 and going for the ZS instead.

Many Thanks

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
If you want 51mpg then you won't get that in a 105 - I was lucky if I got 35mpg overall. Now I get 48mpg in a Clio.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Not sure about the ZS td, reviews have said to steer clear of these, plus they are not built that well are they? for my budget there are no decent ones on Autotrader, I don't want one that has high miles. Are the ZR 105's no good then, cos that seems the general opinion so far.
What reviews? Did they actually drive it, rather than glance at one in a pub car park in the early hours, sloshed after a few bevvies?

They are built no better or worse than any other ZS, and in my opinion it's miles better built than the ZR. Also, the L-Series turbo diesel is bomb proof, and you can get better power upgrades easier and cheaper with the L, than what you will with the K.

As someone has said, Rover Ron MAFAM, with decat and stainless steel exhaust will see you with around 125-130BHP, with 50MPG and more torque than you can shake a stickly stick at.

£5000 will get you a good one as well, maybe even a facelift model.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
If you want 51mpg then you won't get that in a 105 - I was lucky if I got 35mpg overall. Now I get 48mpg in a Clio.
But the extra fuel economy in the Renault Clio is offset by needing to get the bonnet repairs done, after it flies up for no reason at all. :petevick:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks nice enough but the facelift model looks far far better if your budget can stretch.

Depends how much of a stretch is needed, at a push I could go to £5k, but absolutely no more, I have had another member tell me they might be selling there ZR TD, which sounds good, just waiting to see the pics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts