MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, am awaiting a spare front grille for my mk2 200.

I already have a load of mesh, so that's sorted.

Now, I took my grille off today just to see how I'm gonna do this, and from what I can tell, the grille comes in 3 parts...

The front chrome surround
The black plastic slats
A backing sheet of metal with the attaching bolts secured onto it.

So the procedure, as I understood it, was to grind out the rivets, take the middle part out (the slats), replace with mesh, and screw back together again...

although I found an old post by Deaney when he attacked his coupe grille, and the backing metal sheet (with the bolts on) makes it look turbo ugly...

now how can I get around that, as it seems painting it didn't work, and it's kinda necessary to have it else I can't attach it back on to my bonnet...

so...how have you all done it? :D

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
if you use silver mesh, you shouldn't realy see the backing that much. If its bothering you that much, don't bother. I got my grill centre section removed and body coloured. Works well IMO
Steve

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, well I did it today, and for what is a cheap, easy mod, I highly recommend it.

Removed back section (metal) and had to drill out a couple of screws as they had rusted.

Then I just pulled the plastic centre part out. Easy!

Then I cut the mesh to shape, replaced the metal backing and screwed it back together - simple!

Re-attached and admired my handywork!

I'll get a pic up tomorrow to show it off :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
each to his own I suppose. I like the change. It's good to be unique I think, and now I wanna get more adventurous, but I dunno what the next step is :p

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, wheels are next on the card - should get some money in a week to cover that.

Bumpers are a little more of a pain, though, as I have to find some, then respray them, and then respray the doors to match - which is a real pain :(

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
why would you change the bumpers? you can color code the ones you alerady have.

I cant even count the number of times I resprayed my bumpers.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a different type of plastic though, is it not?

Proper colour coded bumpers are smooth, unlike mine which are textured?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm guessing this involves a lot of expensive work at a body shop? I don't know if it's a DIY job, and the problem is that if I bodge it, then I'm stuffed :p

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
i would keep your eye on ebay/scrappys/breakers for a car the same colour as yours but with the body coloured bits (if they did them?)and just get take them off it. doors aswell!

still looks good with the grey tho m8. what wheels you got your eye on?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's a set of Team Dynamics Motorsport 16" in anthracite in the For Sale section - I did a photoshop on them and they look quite snazzy!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
dazultra2000 said:
although I found an old post by Deaney when he attacked his coupe grille, and the backing metal sheet (with the bolts on) makes it look turbo ugly...

:lol: true........

But if i heard it coming from someone who doesnt have............ whats that colour on the bottom........... g......gr.........gra......gran........... GRANDAD GREY! on his car then i would'nt mind :eyes:

Im sorting it :flipa:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts