MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt_t
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since last Monday I have replaced 4 bulbs in the car. Last Monday o/s dip, Friday n/s/f fog, Saturday n/s numberplate, Sunday n/s tail.
Then half way home n/s dip blows. (The trip home by the way is for an entirely new thread, as it has to be accompanied by photos.)

Just going out to the car now to climb under the bonnet via the wheel arch.
I think in all this will be bulb no. 10 since I bought the car last October.

Any suggestions as to the cause???

Luke

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
An experience shared by quite a few owners. The only solution I have seen posted is to avoid using naything but high qulaity OEM or similar bulbs. iirc cheaper bulbs do not cope well with the 75/ZT electrical system and blow very quickly.

hth

Mike

ps I look forward to reading your journey home story............don't keep us in suspenders will you ;)

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Big GT said:
My number plate lights deicded not to work the whole way home :(

Changed bulbs and nothing...
Try tightening the holders up. I had the same problem so removed the units, cleaned up the contacts and tightened their grip. Sorted to date (fingers crossed)

hth

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had similar problems with my 75 (pre ZT). Bulbs going at least every 3 weeks (sometimes more frequestly).
Took it back to the dealer under its warranty (this dates it a little) and they solved the problem by replacing what they called the "light matrix" (whatever that is).
Never had a problem after that!

·
Registered
mg_zt_t
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aga said:
I had similar problems with my 75 (pre ZT). Bulbs going at least every 3 weeks (sometimes more frequestly).
Took it back to the dealer under its warranty (this dates it a little) and they solved the problem by replacing what they called the "light matrix" (whatever that is).
Never had a problem after that!
Keanu Reeves, but half the fat?

Sorry. (Sunstroke, honest)

I will investigate further..... Mike???

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My previous car was an MG ZR, I had it from new. I had a mate who bought a new Rover 25, we both had the same thing, when they got to a certain age, about 6 months to a year the bulbs seem to go one after another, once replaced all fine.

Mike, what do you mean the bulbs can't cope with the 75's electrics? Are they that tempermental????

·
Registered
rover_75
14 Posts
Lamps

From my view as a new 75 owner (er) i mean im a new owner , not a new 75 (i wish)....anyway and an electronics engineer, lamps die for (mainly) 3 reasons
1, Age.
2, Vibration/Mechanical shock.
3, Over voltage.

1, Comes to us all eventually,
2, Possible if mountings are lose or lamp not correctly in holder.
3, Could be caused by faulty battery connections (oe even faulty batt), the batt (as well as storing power) acts as a ballast stopping spikes which can damage lamps.
The only way to prove would be a recording voltmeter most telephone engineers have access to one (if you know one) they just clip on and record what happens over a period of time.

Bogget

·
Registered
430 Posts
One tip that works for me is to ensure the lights are off when I start the engine. This seemed to make a difference.

I also changed to Halfords superbright and these seem to last very well, only one changed in 20k.

AL

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dr Dave said:
"Light Matrix" - what the hell is that I wonder?
When they ordered the "matrix", they took delivery of the wrong one, so had to order again. It appears that as I had front fogs I needed a different one to the cars without!!
This is all the info I can remember as the invoice went with the car in September!! (back to the finance company to make room for my ZT)

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
It will be the light switch module, the front fog light switch is integral so they are different if you have front fog lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts