MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2 mates round yesterday to help me out, and somehow in the space of about 3 hours we managed to:

Fit a new radio
Change door speaker for alpine
Change throttle body from plastic to nice clean aluminium one
Check all fluids (several needed topping up)
and very best of all: Changed the Radiator.

Cannot believe how easy the radiator is on this car! On my 306 myself and a very car savvy friend of mine spent an hour getting the bas***d out, and another at least trying to put the new one in, ended up failing completely and running it to the garage 200 yards away without a rad for them to finish off.

This one, pull off two hoses, undo two bolts at the TOP (had to get right under the car to do anything on the 306), tilt forward and pull out :D

It must have really needed doing...

Here is the old vs new radiator

Also replaced the top hose as it was a little leaky. I think that's down to heat rising from the exhaust manifold as there's no shield there on my car... need to find one.

And as promised, I have some pics of the LED lights I fitted! (will get better ones when more is done)

in the bottom of the window switches

top (set to blue)

had to cut out the little bit of plastic to make these fit (excuse my dirty carpet)

fitted (set to red, a bit dim because the flash was on on my camera)

footwell LED (set to red)

footwell LED (green :D)

new radio, with bluetooth handsfree (external mic I mounted on the sun visor and cable hidden by the a-pillar). and an external wireless remote with a keypad to dial in the number! here it is: http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-ips247bt_p-22974.htm
Bargain at £65 :D

What the pics do not show, is all the circuitry required to make the LED's work, and the small button I installed in the fusebox cover that allows me to cycle through the colours. All done by arduino microcontroller and RGB leds which allows me to set up any colours I like! Currently have red, green, blue, purple, white, yellow and off.

I've wired the circuit up with doubled-up transistors and it should be able to handle 6amps worth of LEDs, so I'll be strategically placing them all over the place, including behind the dials, switches, in the rear footwells etc. and they can all change colour together! :)

Today if poss I want to go round and do all the brakes, and I need to figure out why my car is drinking so much oil. (was 2L lower than it should be yesterday :yikes:)

What do you think so far guys?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I forgot. I tried to fix my MNX platinum silver R25 mirrors... but the plug was different :(. Any thoughts on how this should be wired? Really want to get that done :p.

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,828 Posts
Wanted to just say that I like the LED's. I am definitely going to do the ones under the electric windows at some point as think it's such a small mod which makes a huge difference. How much better are your new door speakers compared to the old ones?

Also did you get components or just the speakers?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Looking good buddy!

I'll have to come see this car in the flesh at some point! you're only 10 minutes or so from where I work.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the speakers I have:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...6.5cm) Coaxial 2-Way Speakers&source=shopping

Only done one door so far, and not done sound deadening yet. I wanted ones with a higher range better for high frequencies, rather than bassy ones as I'll be shoving in my 12" sub when I get the chance, and that's all the bass I need :lol:

Currently the OEM speaker sounds bassier than the alpine :err: but I think that's just because they're unbalanced, or maybe I wired it back to front as it's a different connector. I'll investigate more when I put the other one in hopefully today/tomorrow.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,828 Posts
To be honest if you are going to stick a sub in there anyway you don't want alot of base coming from the doors, there job will be the clarity not for the hugggeee base which'll be coming from the sub.

I plan on getting alpine door speakers, after xmas (god it's going to be expensive dam my family for constantly growing!!!)

I like these as planning on getting a type r sub as well.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/products/alpine-spr-17s.html

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest if you are going to stick a sub in there anyway you don't want alot of base coming from the doors, there job will be the clarity not for the hugggeee base which'll be coming from the sub.

I plan on getting alpine door speakers, after xmas (god it's going to be expensive dam my family for constantly growing!!!)

I like these as planning on getting a type r sub as well.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/products/alpine-spr-17s.html
I know mate ;) the deadening will help stop rattling more than anything else, slight bass is ok, but I'm not going for anything mega from the doors. It goes through a high pass filter anyway, and I've got some decent alpine tweeters to match xP.

The sub will be interesting.... I'm trying to keep a flat open boot because I cart so many damn computers round, I've removed the back seats and im planning on building the subwoofer into the spare wheel well, then putting spacers in and a solid layer of MDF on top with ventilation spaces.

Should allow me to have the sub totally concealed, lose very little space, and have plenty of bass :) I'll lose the spare wheel but as I very rarely go more than 10 miles from home its no biggy, and I need all the extra weight reduction I can get if I'm only ever doing town driving.

Looking good buddy!

I'll have to come see this car in the flesh at some point! you're only 10 minutes or so from where I work.
Thanks! :) It's got a fair way to go yet, still got the bodywork to sort out (rust spots and ZR kit), and plenty more gadgets left to fit but feel free to come take a look any time.

The wiring is nowhere near neat and tidy as it's mainly just been shoved in for testing purposes at the mo :p

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Thanks! :) It's got a fair way to go yet, still got the bodywork to sort out (rust spots and ZR kit), and plenty more gadgets left to fit but feel free to come take a look any time.

The wiring is nowhere near neat and tidy as it's mainly just been shoved in for testing purposes at the mo :p
Ideal!

Not interested in a ZR Spoiler that needs repainting are you? ;)

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Oh and I forgot. I tried to fix my MNX platinum silver R25 mirrors... but the plug was different :(. Any thoughts on how this should be wired? Really want to get that done :p.

Cheers guys!
If you PM me mate I can give you the wiring differences between the 200 mirrors and the 25mirrors, they are almost identical :)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ideal!

Not interested in a ZR Spoiler that needs repainting are you? ;)
lol I have a ZR sharkfin spoiler in my garage that also needs painting :lol: bought one from someone who said they'd spray it for me, did a crap job and didnt laquer it :err:. Thanks though :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Im sicking my old sound activated module in there hopefully it will work like it did on my pc going to fit close to speaker :)

·
Registered
rover_25
67 Posts
Loving the LED's!
I could imagine colour changing to beat could a bit off putting while driving?

how easier or hard was it to change the door speakers, and how?
im a noob sorry :/ just trying to learn little bits for when i eventually get my car :)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Loving the LED's!
I could imagine colour changing to beat could a bit off putting while driving?

how easier or hard was it to change the door speakers, and how?
im a noob sorry :/ just trying to learn little bits for when i eventually get my car :)
Still got one to do mate, I'll take some pics if you like although im sure there will already be a how to.

One thing to note is I made some MDF adapter plate thingies to make them fit because the original speakers have three points sticking out to the screwholes which the aftermarket ones do not. Also had to adapt some wiring a little, but that was quite easy ;)

Yeah I'm glad I've finally put the LEDs in, looking forward to doing the rest now :D. I tend to get very tired when concentrating on one area of light when everything else is dark (can't work on my computer in the dark for example), so night driving strains my eyes a lot. Lighting up the footwells a little seems to help, as odd as it may sound :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts