MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pc is running v. slow and programs either stalling or v slow at startup. Started today.

System restore offers me no calendar dates at all before today

Defrag hangs after 4% using the MS one or O&O. There is more than 15% freespace so lack of space shouldn't be a problem

Ran chkdsk f from command prompt and it said no problems found

Tried to run defrag from the command prompt but the dos window appeared and then disappeared immediately

Then tried fsutil dirty query to see if had another problem with the disk but the dos window disappeared just as quick!

I'm doing all this from reading of the help and support centre so don't assume I have much knowledge ;)

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions very welcome

Thanks in advance

Mike :)

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No unfortunately as you will replace the registry settings.

Defrag will stop if you still have your AV running.

Try stopping this and any antispyware apps and re-running it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Basics:

Spyware scan
Virus scan

Have you installed any new software just prior to the problems starting?

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stu and Tatts,

:doh: Grateful for that :) I suspect I forgot the basics! Will try again now and won't instal over.

Mike

ps Tatts thanks for the mail :) If i can get all this sorted will come back to you.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it's working up to now :) I guess a career in IT may be out of the question then :lol:

Thanks again

Mike

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
MikeM said:
well it's working up to now :) I guess a career in IT may be out of the question then :lol:

Thanks again

Mike
you found the help file and tried, that good enough for some of the IT contractors I've worked with :eek:mg2: scarey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts