MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Ok my latest mod has been the fitting of an H7 6000K HID dip beam kit for my projector headlights. Well I fitted it at the weekend and got the level sorted at a local garage yesterday - very pleased with the effect. Now I can blind those B*W driver's in revenge :)

Had some issues getting them to fit as the retention clip/spring on the projectors is part of the original connector lead. No problems though, all I did was to unclip the metal clip from the top of the original loom and after making some small modifications to the metal, I then fit it underneath the plastic holder on the HID bulbs. I had to take a stanley knife to a small part of the plastic on the bulb holder to make it fit snugly. After a little faffing about I managed to solidly lock the headlights into position with a twist and then mounted the ballasts and cabling in the engine bay (but well away from the actual engine).

They look great especially at night, with my PIAA LED sidelights in the inner headlamps complementing them perfectly. No sign of yellowness any more just solid white light. It is nice to have all four lamps lit just with ordinary (non full beam) driving.

Pete

PS Photos of before and after will arrive soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Could I persuade you to take a picture of your mod to the holder?

I bought a HID kit a week ago and are still strugling with the fit due to the bajonet fitting of the halogen H7.

What do you do when you have to switch back to H7 (inspection).

Thanks
Spôôk

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Spook - from what I understand there is no need to "switch back" to halogen for inspection. The kit I have bought is DOT approved and ISO9001 etc and these should be legal (although it is a bit of a grey area I admit). Although if the worst came to the worst and I had to change them back all I need to do is clip the metal bit from the original loom back on and place the original bulbs back. I did not modify any of the original wiring and simply bent a small notch down flat on the metal fittings to make the new bulbs sit flat. I modified the plastic moulding on the rim around the xenon bulbs (cut away the raised notches).

I am sorry but I am not unclipping the holders to take a photo, because even with the modification they were a struggle to fit (although they are now nice and solidly clipped into place). Not taking them out again through choice!

BIGGT - My bulbs do not flicker - they ignite as they should and warm up within about 30 seconds to the correct colour temperature - again as normal. I would have another look at your wiring - make sure there is a good connection from the new bulb units to the old loom (you may have to take pliers to it to ensure a good fit).

Pete

·
Registered
836 Posts
"with my PIAA LED sidelights in the inner headlamps "

When i put my Piaa LED sidelights in they flicker and show bulb failure..

My HID kit works fine

·
Registered
836 Posts
pshuttle said:
Sorry Big GT,

Ok which kit did you get - my kit was £60 for the LEDs but they came with ballast so you do not get the flickering or the bulb failure warning.

Pete

Ahh my kit was £30 and its just the push in LED bulbs

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big GT I have edited my last post with the price £40 not £60 and also the kit details.

Pete

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Pete
I wouldn't dream of asking you to go through that again.
I think your explanation will do nicely. Thanks.
Spôôk

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He He Ok Spook. I knew you would understand. Good luck with the headlights. If you need more advice just PM me.

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
projectors and xenons

hiii guys...i have an MG ZR 2004 MK2.....i want to get xenons on it and i want projectors for the xenons....does anyone know where i can find the projector and the xenons????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts