MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

Anyone have any thoughts about the Xbox One?

I must admit, I wasn't impressed with the policies and decisions they made/revealed! Although now they have actually back tracked and changed them, I am more interested in it!

I think I will wait for a while though. Got plenty of Xbox 360 games to play through. Plus it's a massive chunk of cash! :err:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Free Xbox Games - Games for Gold

I'm assuming you guys must have seen this by now?

Anyone got any of the free games yet?

I downloaded Assassin's Creed 2, Crackdown, Fable 3 & Defense Grid. I already own and completed the first 2, but handy to have a digital copy! :broon:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've downloaded that crackdown , I really don't think it's any good but it's free ! Lol.
Its a really old game, but its good fun :broon:

Had it for years, but played it recently with my mate.

I meant to do this as 2 seperate threads. DOH!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Its actually a shame they got rid of some of the tools

Some of the features were very much like steam, but they described them so poorly people only saw the downsides.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indeed, but I'm not a huge fan of steam either, so... :lol:

I didn't think some of the ideas were bad, but very porrly communicated and executed. However I'm not going to lie, I'm happy this way than under the old ideals.

The one thing I do hope, is that they don't sell an Xbox One without a Kinect sensor. Despite the price, I think for it to be successful and have games make use of the sensor, it has to be shipped with the console. Previous cameras and peripherals like this rarely get beyond "gimmick" status. (EG: Sony EyeToy).

I personally haven't used Kinect before and don't want it used for EVERYTHING, but it would be nice for innovative ideas that make use of it.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Indeed, but I'm not a huge fan of steam either, so... :lol:

I didn't think some of the ideas were bad, but very porrly communicated and executed. However I'm not going to lie, I'm happy this way than under the old ideals.

The one thing I do hope, is that they don't sell an Xbox One without a Kinect sensor. Despite the price, I think for it to be successful and have games make use of the sensor, it has to be shipped with the console. Previous cameras and peripherals like this rarely get beyond "gimmick" status. (EG: Sony EyeToy).

I personally haven't used Kinect before and don't want it used for EVERYTHING, but it would be nice for innovative ideas that make use of it.
Eye, they should of kept the kinnect as always on, just only in game.

Ihave to be honest, barring my internet going down, I love steam.

I know its just drm with a fancy UI. But the extra features are well worth it. I can log in on anyones computer and download and play the game, and on some newer games even have my savegames backed up in the cloud.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aye, don't get me wrong I buy all my games, but I like having a physical disk. It's getting a little daft as I have a cupboard full of Xbox Games and PC Games. My GF hates it! :lol:

I just don't like Digital downloads (mainly as its more a license of the game not the actual game you buy). Plus I do dislike DRM. I know it shouldn't bother me if I'm all legit etc, but it just does. I HATE the fact that companies need to know so much and have free reign.

My biggest gripe about Steam is the fact that you need a 3rd party program to run a game. I don't want no middle man.

Back on Xbox topic... :lol:
I don't like the thought of Kinect snooping, its my biggest complaint, but even from word go I was planning on blocking over the Mic, or camera to stop it doing just that when I wasn't using it. Now they have said that you don't need it plugged in unless a game specifically requires it sounds good to me. I will use it when playing Xbox, but I don't want it to always be there when I'm not.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Aye, don't get me wrong I buy all my games, but I like having a physical disk. It's getting a little daft as I have a cupboard full of Xbox Games and PC Games. My GF hates it! :lol:

I just don't like Digital downloads (mainly as its more a license of the game not the actual game you buy). Plus I do dislike DRM. I know it shouldn't bother me if I'm all legit etc, but it just does. I HATE the fact that companies need to know so much and have free reign.

My biggest gripe about Steam is the fact that you need a 3rd party program to run a game. I don't want no middle man.

I don't like the thought of Kinect snooping, its my biggest complaint, but even from word go I was planning on blocking over the Mic, or camera to stop it doing just that when I wasn't using it. Now they have said that you don't need it plugged in unless a game specifically requires it sounds good to me. I will use it when playing Xbox, but I don't want it to always be there when I'm not.
News flash nobody gives a poo what you are doing in your livingroom nobody will snoop on you.

I was going to pre order one but i think i will still still be well and truely busy with GTA V when it comes out.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Even when you buy a disc all you are buying is a licence. You have no more rights over the contents of the game than someone who bought it off steam.

Normally I'd agree with you about the 3rd party programme (I despise origin an uplay) but steam is so lightwieght, and has so many game enhancing features its worth it.

Hell steam replaced msn as my instant messanger programme

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Bought a 360 last gen and must be the only person on the planet whos mates ALL have PS3s.. so I went the sony route and the 360 is gathering dust.

Fired it up a few weeks back for some late night Halo and had to turn it off because of the awful fan noise :lol:

Think ill be settling into the PS4 camp this time. both consoles seem to do exactly the same thing.

·
Window Licker
22,048 Posts
I've bought each of the consoles when released by Sony or MS. Had the XBox and XBox360 as well as a PS, PS2 and PS3.

This time round I can't warrant spending so much cash on having both, and based on previous experiences I'm more inclined to go for a PS4 than the XBox One just on the back of the lack of reliability my XBox 360's have had.

I've had 1 PS3 breakdown against 4 XBox 360's and to be fair I haven't played an XBox 360 game for months now whereas I've been on the PS3 regularly.

Yup, it's going to be a PS4 for me I think!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I must be the only person who has never had thier xbox die no them

What do you do that kills them? put them on caprets or in locked boxes XD

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've owned 3 Xbox 360's.

First one was fine, until it stopped displaying a picture. (No Red Ring either!)
Got it replaced by MS for a brand new one (Cost me £60/80 though).
I was then running out of room (20GB model), so replaced it with a MW2 Super Elite and sold my old one to my mate.

Both the last two have been fine.

The biggest killer of Xbox 360's was heat. The exhaust vents are on the left hand side of the console and of course when you stand them up, the exhaust vents are actually on the bottom! Good design there!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I personally think the xbox one is going to flop the new play station is promised to be £100 cheaper the online generally works better on the play stations (I have really poor internet) and the play station will still have discs not sure if it will still play old ps3 ones though. The xbox got a lot of stick on the 360 for breaking and I can see the trate continuing with the xbox one very complex operating components that are bound to go wrong but we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I've owned 3 Xbox 360's.

First one was fine, until it stopped displaying a picture. (No Red Ring either!)
Got it replaced by MS for a brand new one (Cost me £60/80 though).
I was then running out of room (20GB model), so replaced it with a MW2 Super Elite and sold my old one to my mate.

Both the last two have been fine.

The biggest killer of Xbox 360's was heat. The exhaust vents are on the left hand side of the console and of course when you stand them up, the exhaust vents are actually on the bottom! Good design there!

I saw a lot of people with dead exbox's who'd had them on thick carpet clogging the vents, or stuffed in between dvd players and sky boxes.

Its 6 parts don't be a moron and 6 parts really bad thermal design.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
Halo will probably see me with a xbox one. However im not rushing out to get one. id prob wait 6/12 months and get one then.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw a lot of people with dead exbox's who'd had them on thick carpet clogging the vents, or stuffed in between dvd players and sky boxes.

Its 6 parts don't be a moron and 6 parts really bad thermal design.
I'm a bit confused are you calling me a Moron? :lol:

Halo will probably see me with a xbox one. However im not rushing out to get one. id prob wait 6/12 months and get one then.
I'm going to wait until they both come down in price, but will then buy one. As it stands, am currently leaning towards Xbox One.

I personally think the xbox one is going to flop the new play station is promised to be £100 cheaper the online generally works better on the play stations (I have really poor internet) and the play station will still have discs not sure if it will still play old ps3 ones though. The xbox got a lot of stick on the 360 for breaking and I can see the trate continuing with the xbox one very complex operating components that are bound to go wrong but we will have to wait and see.
Xbox Live is a MUCH better service than PSN from my personal experience and I am willing to pay for the Xbox service. It's £80 cheaper due to the Xbox coming pre-bundled with Kinect and as mentioned before, I think it would be daft to exclude it from the package as then we are back with the gimmick that no developer fully adopts. Perfect example:

PS:Move - Only a handful of games used it and bit gimmicky.
Wii - The controllers came built in with the motion stuff and all games made use of it because they knew all users would have it.

As mentioned previously, not overly bothered about Kinect, but it it encourages game developers to use it intelligently then great! :broon:
Xbox still has disks? Not sure what your point is here... The consoles are actually VERY similar in spec, so its more down to the chassis and firmware running on the console.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts