MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who's umming and ahhing about getting these - go and get them! I had mine fitted on Thursday and headed off to Wales for the day yesterday - ride is noticeably better both on the motorway and on more interesting roads, and the car seemed much more stuck to the road when cornering.

Why doesn't the TF come with these as standard?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
JustinB said:
Anyone who's umming and ahhing about getting these - go and get them! I had mine fitted on Thursday and headed off to Wales for the day yesterday - ride is noticeably better both on the motorway and on more interesting roads, and the car seemed much more stuck to the road when cornering.

Why doesn't the TF come with these as standard?!
is the ride more bumpy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Im thinking about getting these - although it will cost me close to £400!!!!! Do you have any pictures of the car before and after the springs - I want to see how much difference they make!?
 

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
26 Posts
springssss

Have been thinking about fitting the x power springs for couple of months. Roads around where I live are bloody awful,full of sleepin coppers and potholes,was worried it would make ride even harder than standard - Has anyone out there fitted the springs themselves.Surely cant be that difficult.
 

·
Registered
mg_zs
Joined
·
502 Posts
JustinB said:
Anyone who's umming and ahhing about getting these - go and get them! I had mine fitted on Thursday and headed off to Wales for the day yesterday - ride is noticeably better both on the motorway and on more interesting roads, and the car seemed much more stuck to the road when cornering.

Why doesn't the TF come with these as standard?!
Yup, totally agree. I have them with the Mike Satur trophy 17's too. awesome!!!

DVAPower next :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T3DCF said:
Im thinking about getting these - although it will cost me close to £400!!!!! Do you have any pictures of the car before and after the springs - I want to see how much difference they make!?
I was going to take some pictures today - but now it's raining, so I'm not going to!

The lowering is most obvious when looking at the car from the side. I saw the car from the back first, after it was done, and it didn't look any lower at first glance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
If it stops raining - some photos would be really useful - whether it looks lower or not is now probably my deciding factor! They do sound good though - are xpower the only manufacturer to make springs for the tf?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,424 Posts
T3DCF said:
Im thinking about getting these - although it will cost me close to £400!!!!! Do you have any pictures of the car before and after the springs - I want to see how much difference they make!?

£400 !!?? ... I thought they were like £130(ish) .. surely fitting isn't another £250 ????... is it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Thats a rounded figure- springs are approx £130, I was quoted 4 hours labour for fitting!!! What prices did the people on here who have them pay?? I would get them fitted elsewhere - but im thinking about my warrenty!
 

·
In the Garage
MG TF
Joined
·
33,299 Posts
Others on the forum have used Tech-speed to fit Xpower springs for ~£120 for fitting.

Regarding the warranty, it does not mater who fitted them as long as the parts are approved by MGR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Thanks for that - ill give them a call. Where is the best place to buy the springs - xpower website itself? or does anyone know anywhere that discounts them? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,093 Posts
Chris T said:
Regarding the warranty, it does not mater who fitted them as long as the parts are approved by MGR.
i tink u may find thats not quite the case. it does matte rwho fits them as to keep the warranty u need the parts fitted by an MG dealer or a garage approved by MG. the onyl reason techspeed gesta round this is becasue hte guy who works there has been working on MG's for many years and knows some ppl over at MG very well.;)

when i enquired about fitting htem. they would ahve cost me 130 quid for the springs, then about 150 quid for the fitment and 4 wheel alignment check. then it would bump my insurance by 100 quid!!! so for me, last year, getting xpower springs would have cost me 380 quid.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
In the Garage
MG TF
Joined
·
33,299 Posts
MG Deano said:
i tink u may find thats not quite the case. it does matte rwho fits them as to keep the warranty u need the parts fitted by an MG dealer or a garage approved by MG. the onyl reason techspeed gesta round this is becasue hte guy who works there has been working on MG's for many years and knows some ppl over at MG very well.;)
It is my understanding that due to resent EU directive on anti competitive practices by motor manufactures and their franchised dealers, that work to your car can be provided by a independent non approved workshop without invalidating the manufactures warranty provided approved parts are used and the work is done to the same standard (I guess the last bit could be used as the get out).

I’ve know that this is case from (bitter) experience for routine servicing and assumed it was the case for all work. :confused:
 

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
8,321 Posts
Springs are around £130. MGR quote 2.2 hours to fit them (so if you have been quoted 4 they are cheating you) and you need to have the wheel aligned which is between £40 and £80. Of course Techspeed will do the whole lot for about £120, and do it properly - unlike some dealerships who can't even recognise an MGR part number.
I had mine fitted about a year ago and have been very pleased. Won't go back to the originals.
As the springs are an MG part, they are warranty friendly, and if fitted by a competent dealer/mechanic, there should be no issue. Techspeed have been race preparing MGF/TFs for some time and know them inside out so warranty is not an issue. They are also very helpful and friendly.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top