MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Just woundering if they would fill the gap left by the MG ZT v8?

Firstly we were led to believe there was no RWD V8, but since then little hints have come out that they may actually be keen to continue it and add a four wheel drive. But it's like everything with this whole saga, time will tell.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
They had a V8 engine on show at the NAC-MG launch ceremony.
When Oldaker was giving a speech on the launch ceremony, a CAD model of the RWD ZT drivetrain was shown on the screen too. Read into that however you like. ;)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't see that there has to be a V8. It will be quite a restricted market- why not use the rest of the engines in this configuration? 1.8, 1.8T, Diesels etc etc

The MG7 is now getting on a bit- a full range of RWD derivatives would boost the 'sporting' credentials I reckon..

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the V8 above is the Ford unit from the ZT?
I can see no reason for NAC not to build the V8 as long as they can secure the engine supply. The chassis is there ready and waiting to be used and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

I'm hoping that a new rebodied Euro-market MG7Z with RWD across the range will be built at Longbridge on the 75 line. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Since they have the V8 platform, what are the possibilities of streching it for more leg room and reskining it for a new model? Or would the costs be to much? As it would make a great perfomance car for the US and Europe, as people still buy big V8s here, well enough to make them profitable?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Since they have the V8 platform, what are the possibilities of streching it for more leg room and reskining it for a new model? Or would the costs be to much? As it would make a great perfomance car for the US and Europe, as people still buy big V8s here, well enough to make them profitable?
They did produce a one-off 75 V8 Limousine, so stretching is definitely possible.

Pictures Courtesy of Austin-Rover.co.uk

Attachments

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I'd love one ,but is there really a place for something like that now in these tree-hugging obsesed days?

I think not ,unfortunately :(
Audi & B*W dont have much trouble shifting RS4's & M3's. The importers don't have much trouble getting orders for Mustang GT's from the US either. Theres a small market for them

I dont think petrolheads will be queuing round the block to put down thousands on an old rover model imported from china though

·
Registered
other_mg
49 Posts
A better idea than putting the ZT260 back into production might be to develop the ZT coupe with 4wd. You could downsize the rear seats (so the car becomes a 2+2) and use the saved space for a bigger fuel tank. You'll then have a great baby Bently GT (at a fraction of the price) with the ZT260's main design flaw removed. Would be a great halo car.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetBoy: Audi & B*W dont have much trouble shifting RS4's & M3's. The importers don't have much trouble getting orders for Mustang GT's from the US either. Theres a small market for them

I dont think petrolheads will be queuing round the block to put down thousands on an old rover model imported from china though
The Ford 4.6L is also quite frugal for a V8 too, so an MG 7260 shouldn't have as much trouble on that front as one might think.

You're right though, given the age of the model and its relatively low mass appeal, there are probably better places for NAC MG to put their money- for now at least. Once some suitably exciting new sheet metal is on stream, RWD V8 models might become quite popular.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
A better idea than putting the ZT260 back into production might be to develop the ZT coupe with 4wd. You could downsize the rear seats (so the car becomes a 2+2) and use the saved space for a bigger fuel tank. You'll then have a great baby Bently GT (at a fraction of the price) with the ZT260's main design flaw removed. Would be a great halo car.

Just a thought...
The size of the fuel tank is fairly well down the list of things I'd change TBH.

I'd first get the 32v V8 to fit in the engine bay, than maybe sort out the A/C.

Good idea though, I like it.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
I'd love one ,but is there really a place for something like that now in these tree-hugging obsesed days?

I think not ,unfortunately :(
Audi & B*W dont have much trouble shifting RS4's & M3's. The importers don't have much trouble getting orders for Mustang GT's from the US either. Theres a small market for them

:rofl:

I know for certain that it is perfectly possible to be both a tree-hugger and an MG ZT 260 lover ... no names no pack drill ... :john: ...;)

The lack of sophistication which in my books equates to understressed longevity and lower servicing costs also has much appeal as well as some marginal environment benefits .... unlike some big V8s I could mention .....

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by MGJohn: The lack of sophistication which in my books equates to understressed longevity and lower servicing costs also has much appeal as well as some marginal environment benefits .... unlike some big V8s I could mention .....
You've hit the nail right on the head. There's something to be said for a big, lazy, understressed engine in a solid body with a low tech chassis. Its a recipe for longevity, which does have its advantages, both to the environment and to the wallet. The Morris Minor might have been the first to be called the "durable car", but its not the only one that fits that description.

Of course, with proper maintenance, almost any car will still last pretty much forever, its just that some types of cars are easier to coax into old age than others.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts