MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering why anyone would buy a Roewe 750 over an MG 7? I have some fairly firm views on why I would run a mile from the Roewe 750, but I just wondered if anyone could come up with reasons to buy the Roewe model over the MG version. Interior preference is the only thing I can think of? Idea's??? Don't want to take a pop at Roewe in this thread, just genuinely interested in why anyone would want a Roewe 750....

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
badge meens little to me.

quality, price, equipment, service, aftersales etc is what is important.

if they are all good enough on one or the other, I would buy. If they where equal i would probably go for an MG.

edit:
what am i on about! if i really beleived any of that I wouldnt have the Zed would I. :p i'd be in some boring VW or skoda or somthing...

·
Registered
mg_zt
278 Posts
probably not but the 450 looks very impressive so would probably have one of those. Will the 450 and 750 be badged here as Roewe, Ssangyong or something else???

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Some pictures of the Roewe to remind people what it looks like, since we haven't seen many here recently:

(Is that crease in the rear wheel arch supposed to be there?
Hard to see how you could create it!)

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
probably not but the 450 looks very impressive so would probably have one of those. Will the 450 and 750 be badged here as Roewe, Ssangyong or something else???
I left the 450 out of it because it's not finished and we don't know what the MG 5 will be like.... Didn't seem a fair comparison.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Some pictures of the Roewe to remind people what it looks like, since we haven't seen many here recently:

(Is that crease in the rear wheel arch supposed to be there?
Hard to see how you could create it!)
I have to say - that picture of the Roewe 750E isn't very flattering. I much prefer the MG7L. It looks better integrated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont share the view that SAIC are evil people who betrayed MGR and brought about its demise. I think they simply followed sound business practice. But nonetheless I would buy the MG. Buying the Roewe 750 is like buying a fake Rolex and paying full Rolex price for it. Its just a copy. Also I think the changes are a touch vulgar and cheapen the car.

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
There is nothing to stop anybody here buying either a Roewe or MG7 and retro fit the original Rover grill and badges back on. That way you will have a brand new Rover.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
I have to say - that picture of the Roewe 750E isn't very flattering. I much prefer the MG7L. It looks better integrated.
Presumably the E is the high quality Executive version?

Just thought I would point out that I didn't intentionally choose non-flattering pictures, these pictures where taken from yesterdays news, the car was being demonstrated to the press and so is presumably one of the better examples.

Source article: http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2007-05-18/0039275911.shtml

Does anyone have more flattering pictures :dddc:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Without wishing to give the impression I support SAIC over NAC I actually like the look of the Roewe version, especially the interior. I suspect on looks the Roewe will have more appeal generally but quality may be a different issue. I imagine NAC are busily working on a facelift MG7 for launch sooner than later ....I hope....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Its a press car with creased wheel arches?? Going back to the days of BL advertising dented Allegro's and squished Clubmans!:errx2:

And SAIC fanatics on here like to mock NAC quality!

I'm not gloating *honestly*:whistle:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The Roewe isn't coming over to Europe (not for a long while anyway), so I'm not worried about it. By the time they may release the 750 over here, it'll be out of date and NAC-MG will have new metal. SAIC will be the new laughing stock keeping the "75 model" (if they haven't decided to drop it for europe).

Why would I (or anyone) buy a chinese clone of a very good car?

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Presumably the E is the high quality Executive version?

Just thought I would point out that I didn't intentionally choose non-flattering pictures, these pictures where taken from yesterdays news, the car was being demonstrated to the press and so is presumably one of the better examples.

Source article: http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2007-05-18/0039275911.shtml

Does anyone have more flattering pictures :dddc:
I know you didn't pick the unflattering pictures on purpose :lol: It just goes to show how colour sensitive the Roewe 750 is. In darker colours, it looks alot nicer.

The Roewe isn't coming over to Europe (not for a long while anyway), so I'm not worried about it. By the time they may release the 750 over here, it'll be out of date and NAC-MG will have new metal. SAIC will be the new laughing stock keeping the "75 model" (if they haven't decided to drop it for europe).

Why would I (or anyone) buy a chinese clone of a very good car?
The Roewe is now destined for the UK next year, to be sold through Ssangyong dealers, so the MG7 and Roewe 750 or Ssangyong 750 (depending on what marque they choose), will probably go head to head.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If the quality on them is about equal, and the price about the same, I would expect the MG to sell more simply because British buyers like a name they know. Or at least a name they know how to pronounce.

If you're in the marke for a Roewe, then you're in the market for an MG. The MG will win on home turf.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Going through Ssangyong is going to be a real advantage for SAIC. Maybe NAC should team up with Perodua?

Lets' reserve jusgement until the models are available though, maybe SAIC will be careful enough not to use any name that could be confused with Rover. Ssangyong maybe?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
On three counts:

1. It'd have to be the NAC version (seems more faithful to the original)
2. They (NAC) don't make a complete hash of it, and that includes the silly Mk1/2 hybrids that are floating around
3. It gets a decent diesel (pref. G-Series, assuming it is 'better')

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The Roewe is now destined for the UK next year, to be sold through Ssangyong dealers, so the MG7 and Roewe 750 or Ssangyong 750 (depending on what marque they choose), will probably go head to head.
That's new news to me. Still, SAIC aren't independantly setting themselves here like NAC with the MG brand. When the Roewe does make itself over here, it'll be available in small amounts and probably won't make to many show rooms IMO.

NAC seem to show importance that marketing is important and establishing itself will have more respect. If NAC get off to a good start, what would be the point of SAIC taking their tarnished 750 here to compete with hardly no media coverage here?? Also, good NAC-MG sales would hurt SAIC even more getting established here far quicker.

IMO, SAIC don't have a leg to stand on here in Europe. Most people will go for MG because of it's continued presense and press coverage.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts