MG-Rover.org Forums banner

wot do you use?

783 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  david_r_bates 
#1 ·
Just a thought,wot do people use to clean there cars ie brand of shampoo if any,type of cleaning tool,(brush,sponge,cloth),polish,wax,and wot sort of routine do you go through?
Bit of a geeky question i know but its just for fun!:dunno:

#4 ·
heres comes the flood....

Step 1, initial soak to loosen as much dirt as possible
Park car up and spray the whole of the car with a light TFR solution paying particular attention to bugsplats/tar/mud, leave this on while i get out the rest of the kit

Step 2, Pressure wash to blast off as much dirt as possible, less dirt on car before contact means less chance of swirls
Set up the pressure washer and with a low pressure setting and a strong shampoo mixture in the detergent tank spray the car all over to givea nice thick foamy coating, leave this for 5 minutes then blast off from the top down, finishing this stage with the wheels.

Step 3, 2 Bucket wash
2 buckets, 2 wash mitts, 1 bucket is clean water the other is shampoo solution, wash half a panel, rinse mit in clean water bucket and move to next panel, working down the car top to bottom. The second mitt is used last off to wipe down the wheels and botton edges of the sills, it is kept for this purpose and never touches the paint you can see.

Step 4, dry
To avoid water marks it is essential to dry the car properly, i first spray some quickdetail spray onto the panels to aid drying and add a little protection, then use large waffle weave microbire towel (megs water magnet style) and pat the paint dry. wiping the car dry can still drag any dirt left on the car and create marring.

step 5, protect
after washing and drying as a final step for a regular wash i top up the sealant on the car, usually a spray on wax or quickdetailing spray with carnauba, once a month instead of this i reapply a layer of wax to the car

this is not gospel and i am not saying its the best way to do it, but it certainly is much better than a quick wash with a bucket and sponge in my opinion, it does however take 1hr minimum to do

this is just my wash routine it would take me all day to type up claying/polishing/final polishing/sealing/waxing and then theres the interiors and special days like wheel cleaning day

www.detailingworld.co.uk <--- car car for nutters like me

andy

edit: i copied and pasted this from my post to an identical question a couple of weeks ago

#5 ·
Clean with Wash and Wax

Silicon blade dry

T-Cut colourwax

Quality wax (whatever I have on hand)

Gloss guard

That lot happens once a year....

Every three months of so I use a spray/aerosol wax and in between I use Demon Shine after the wash.

Every time I wash I jet out the wheelarches as there are a couple of mud traps and I live on a cow-infested lane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.