MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother in-law has got a rover 620ti(n reg),well i think thats it.hes had it for about 3 years and about 18 months ago he had a problem with the battery not holding charge,he changed the battery and alternator but it still was draining in a matter of hours.because he couldnt leave the car parked for more than an hour without the battery going flat he hasnt used it and its been sat rotting outside his house for the past year

is there any possable soulution to this problem as the car is or should i say was in mint condition but its really starting to deteriorate now.it just seems such a waste of a good car.he had a mechanic look at it who is a friend of the family but his advice was just to get rid of it.i managed to talk him out of it as the car ran perfect and still does when the battery is charged.

this is my last chance 2 prove to him that the car isnt ready for the scrapp heap or better still come up with a few diagnosises and have a go at doing it my self.the car will be going by the end of next week if i cant do somthing

plzzzzzzzzzzzz help

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've heard a faulty alternator can cause this

try swapping the alternator ...with the one off your car if it fits .....see it still does it ..

or you could charge the battery and then disconect the alternator ..............to proove it.

all the best.mark

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he had a new alternator fitted just after is started happening and a new battery aswell but it still happened.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
jay27 said:
my brother in-law has got a rover 620ti(n reg),well i think thats it.hes had it for about 3 years and about 18 months ago he had a problem with the battery not holding charge,he changed the battery and alternator but it still was draining in a matter of hours.because he couldnt leave the car parked for more than an hour without the battery going flat he hasnt used it and its been sat rotting outside his house for the past year

is there any possable soulution to this problem as the car is or should i say was in mint condition but its really starting to deteriorate now.it just seems such a waste of a good car.he had a mechanic look at it who is a friend of the family but his advice was just to get rid of it.i managed to talk him out of it as the car ran perfect and still does when the battery is charged.

this is my last chance 2 prove to him that the car isnt ready for the scrapp heap or better still come up with a few diagnosises and have a go at doing it my self.the car will be going by the end of next week if i cant do somthing

plzzzzzzzzzzzz help
The alternator is a good place to start, as is the simplest of things, the boot lamp, if it stays on, it'll run the battery flat overnight.

This thread is current and the advice given by E_T_V is especially relevant to solving this problem, get yourself a multimeter and findout which circuit isn't switching off when the engine is switching off.

Maplins are doing multimeters from £5 and you'll just need to spend a few hours pulling fuses and finding where the drain is coming from, after you've disconnected the alternator and ruled that out.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=131819

·
Registered
644 Posts
just read about this further down aparently you can put multimeter in series reading amps by the battery,

And see what amps are being drawn, keep it connected and get your friend to remove fuses untill the reading goes down,

don,t throw it away i,m sure other members can help you more,

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah just read the thread and i think im capable of using a multimeter lol.

where bouts do i conncet it to to test,do i take out the fuses 1 by 1 and connect it to where the fuses go??

·
Registered
463 Posts
jay27 said:

where bouts do i conncet it to to test,do i take out the fuses 1 by 1 and connect it to where the fuses go??
jasonc46 tels you at the end or his first sentence.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im rreally sorry but i aint got a clue :(

do i need to put the meter on the battery and then take out the fuses or take out the fuses and put the meter where the fuse was and then read it?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
jay27 said:

In electronics, when we say in series, this means to connect the mutlimeter directly into the circuit, in this case, ideally between the battery earth terminal and the earth connector, so unattatch the earth cable from the battery and connect one of the multimeter cables to the battery (big bulldog clips are good, as are jumpleads) and then hold the other multimeter cable onto the now disconnected earth cable.

If we wanted to connect the multimeter in parallel, to check the battery voltage, we wouldn't need to disconnect anything and the multimeter cables can be held directly onto both battery terminals.

This wikipedia guide may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_circuit

EDIT - Now, set the multimeter to 10 amps or 1 amp, and see what the drain is. Start by removing fuse 1 and see if this draw changes. If it does, then you've found the circuit that is faulty, if it doesn't, put the fuse back and move onto the next fuse. Report back and someone here will be able to help if/when you find the circuit that is discharging the battery.

If your still not sure what to do, just post back, electronics can be a little confusing but there are plenty of us who know what to do and can hopefully explain what you need to be doing.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rite so lets assume ive done that and the multimeter is connected,what ampage am i looking for? and what do i do next

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
jay27 said:
rite so lets assume ive done that and the multimeter is connected,what ampage am i looking for? and what do i do next
There should be a very small discharge, around 0.1 amp, but as we believe there to be a circuit which is discharging, there's going to be a big drain, so depending on the figure, this in itself can be a guide as to which circuits are staying on. A high figure will point to a power hungry device such as the heated rear windscreen.

Once you have your multimeter connected, follow the instructions in my above post, it donned on me that I hadn't explained what to do with the fuses. Pull each fuse until you manage to get the drain down to a small figure around 0.1 amp.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks mate that makes sense now,ill get a multimeter and spend 2mor doing it.ill let u know how i get on.it would make my month if i manage to find it and fix it:) thanks again 4 all ur help guys:)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
jay27 said:
thanks mate that makes sense now,ill get a multimeter and spend 2mor doing it.ill let u know how i get on.it would make my month if i manage to find it and fix it:) thanks again 4 all ur help guys:)
Sounds really simple, but before you spend a fair bit of time with multimeters, pulling fuses and such, make sure that all the interior lights are switching off, crawl into the boot and check when the boot is shut the light goes off and when you close the doors the cabin courtesy lights go off.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i will do mate,hes got 2 very energetic kids and they were always pulling and fiddling with bits in the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts