MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add electric windows and Central Locking to my 1996 Rover 1.1 , I have got all the parts for the doors, do I need a different main wiring loom?

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
You just need new door looms. But look at www.metropower.co.uk how to guides and they have covered the whole conversion and pictures too. If you get the stuff I can happily do it for you in 2 hours as your local.

·
Registered
107 Posts
According to the Haynes manual you can hack into the purple wire that powers the interior light/radio memory, which is how rover do it on cars that already come with lecky windows and central locking, if you have a lecky cig lighter use the negative on that circuit, black wire....thats how i did my central locking

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
According to the Haynes manual you can hack into the purple wire that powers the interior light/radio memory, which is how rover do it on cars that already come with lecky windows and central locking, if you have a lecky cig lighter use the negative on that circuit, black wire....thats how i did my central locking
why do that, the E/W output are on the back of ALL k-series Metro & 100 fusebox's, easy

when I got my e/w i removed the dash from the scrap metro too, its take about 10 minutes if you know where the bolts are before hand, and then I cut the whole loom out and stripped the e/w wires from it and pluged them into mine, it ment I was longer at the scrappy buy about 20 minutes but the was plug and play when I got the stuff home.

·
Registered
107 Posts
why do that, the E/W output are on the back of ALL k-series Metro & 100 fusebox's, easy

when I got my e/w i removed the dash from the scrap metro too, its take about 10 minutes if you know where the bolts are before hand, and then I cut the whole loom out and stripped the e/w wires from it and pluged them into mine, it ment I was longer at the scrappy buy about 20 minutes but the was plug and play when I got the stuff home.
I didnt know that! Is it that easy to remove the dash/fuse box?
does anyone know if you can retrofit oneof those after market electric windows to a rover 100 metro

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
You can but they stick out due to the spindle of the Metro/100 been so far away from the door. My GSI had rear electric windows which wear a kit and they worked great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can but they stick out due to the spindle of the Metro/100 been so far away from the door. My GSI had rear electric windows which wear a kit and they worked great.
Im wanting to put 'em on the front, will it look awful? am i better of waitin for some to come up on ebay from off a rover100

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
get the Rover kit, its made for the job,

other stuff it fits all fits nothing, ie alot of bodges.

dash is easy to remove, 4 torx bolts either end, 3 screws up top, 2 near the gear stick, then rip it out of the scrapper, then 2 8mm bolts for the fuse box and a hell of alot of connectors to undo. i've done this about 10-15 times now and its so much easier having the full kit when it comes to refit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts