MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just bought a 2003 75 Tourer, auto diesel with 135k, sweet as a nut and 48mpg at motorway cruising. One question- when I turn the ignition on, the back wiper starts (switches off OK) and when I turn the ignition off, both front and rear wipers do a single sweep. Nothing obvious with the switch or wiper connections- any suggestions please?

·
Registered
rover_600
206 Posts
Question 1 : Is the the wiper stalk switch set at auto ie rain sensor or is it set in the off position?
If at rain sensor selection, the car is behaving as programmed.

If the stalk switch is in the off position and you are getting a single wipe or in the case of the rear three wipes. Replace the stalk switch.

I have seen this on many cars over the years I have never found the culprit but replacing the stalk switch usually solves the problem.

These cars are very smart their bulb fault detector and rear guard system where the car will illuminate an other bulb until you replace the faulty one is still even today 22 years on years ahead of its time .
I hate to say this but it is smarter than a tomahawk missile. They have a circuit board check system on power up that is meant to detect a faulty board, sadly it only works 40% of the time and it is unable to bypass to a secondary board.

Hope this helps
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question 1 : Is the the wiper stalk switch set at auto ie rain sensor or is it set in the off position?
If at rain sensor selection, the car is behaving as programmed.

If the stalk switch is in the off position and you are getting a single wipe or in the case of the rear three wipes. Replace the stalk switch.

I have seen this on many cars over the years I have never found the culprit but replacing the stalk switch usually solves the problem.

These cars are very smart their bulb fault detector and rear guard system where the car will illuminate an other bulb until you replace the faulty one is still even today 22 years on years ahead of its time .
I hate to say this but it is smarter than a tomahawk missile. They have a circuit board check system on power up that is meant to detect a faulty board, sadly it only works 40% of the time and it is unable to bypass to a secondary board.

Hope this helps
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Many thanks Alan, very much appreciated. Regards, Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts