MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had enough of Halfords continually watering down their original double concentrate screenwash, I don't know how they can keep calling it that now that the latest version is now rated down to -20°C from -23°C neat, it was rated down to -40°C when I first started using it and it cost less than the £6.99 for 2.5 litres currently.

Think I've found another alternative by chance, was at a Vauxhall dealer for some bits and noticed a 5 litre tub of GM OptiClean All Seasons Screenwash behind the parts counter, looking at the tub it's ratings are:

-5°C 1:3
-10°C 1:2
-20°C 1:1
-30°C 2:1

(screenwash:water)

According to the parts guy its made by Sonax, I thought the tub looked familiar, fairly good value at around £8 retail (£6 to me) and pretty easy to get hold of as long as you have a GM dealer near by, certainly easier than getting hold of the Sonax branded version at least for me.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Might a safer route be using it neat. The prestone one I used this summer was used concentrated straight out the bottle. It's sap and bug cleaning ability have been better than any I've used previously.

Certainly from last years temps I'd feel safer spending £5 on a bottle and using that in one go than saving a couple if quid watering it down.

·
Registered
rover_75
183 Posts
it,s the same with the antifreeze, recently had a visit to halfrauds and for 2litres of red antifreeze it,s nearly £12 euro carparts is £6 for 1litre of concentrated red antifreeze. so presuming halfrauds is a 50/50 mix we,re paying £6 for litre of water.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,443 Posts
Antifreeze does indeed damage paintwork.
500ml seems too much to mix with even 2 and half litres of water!
I have always used water and washing up liquid and have never had it freeze up also it has never caused paintwork damage either.
At speed your washer fluid is mostly blown away and so paintwork damage is unlikely.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might a safer route be using it neat. The prestone one I used this summer was used concentrated straight out the bottle. It's sap and bug cleaning ability have been better than any I've used previously.

Certainly from last years temps I'd feel safer spending £5 on a bottle and using that in one go than saving a couple if quid watering it down.

Is that the green Prestone Bugwash I keep seeing everywhere?

The problem is that their really isn't that much of a choice of decent screenwash in this country as most is watered down and is only good for -5°C to -10°C neat.

it,s the same with the antifreeze, recently had a visit to halfrauds and for 2litres of red antifreeze it,s nearly £12 euro carparts is £6 for 1litre of concentrated red antifreeze. so presuming halfrauds is a 50/50 mix we,re paying £6 for litre of water.
Halfords and ECP are not really in direct competition so I've been told recently, Halfords is more of a convenience store rather than a motorfactors.

I just use neat screenwash in the winter.. problem solved :lol:
Depends on the screenwash, if you look at Tesco's finest 2.5l blue concentrate its only rated to -5°C neat.

You are kidding, right?
You can get some screenwash additives that are labelled as antifreeze but are not really engine antifreeze, ECP sell this one Normfest Frostex Anti-Freeze Screenwash (500ml). But then there is more to screenwash than just freezing.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Yep that's the one Ray. Found it very good certainly better than ordinary screenwash but I bet it freezes well.

Antifreeze in washer bottle hmmm I really do hope that's a joke as it WILL damage your paint simple as.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Depends on the screenwash, if you look at Tesco's finest 2.5l blue concentrate its only rated to -5°C neat.
Hmm I'd never looked that closeley.. I usually buy mine from the local garage but I just stupidly assumed they'd all be good for down to -20c as used to be the case.

I'll have to pop over to my GM dealership and pick up the stuff you've mentioned then if it's got proper ratings as it's no good spending a few quid on something that won't cope with winter temps! My whole system froze up repeatedly last year :(

Thanks for pointing it out ;D I'll still be using it neat but at least neat it'll be properly suited for cold temps.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
6,960 Posts
Antifreeze does indeed damage paintwork.
500ml seems too much to mix with even 2 and half litres of water!
I have always used water and washing up liquid and have never had it freeze up also it has never caused paintwork damage either.
At speed your washer fluid is mostly blown away and so paintwork damage is unlikely.
:lecture:All the salts in washing up liquid... :p

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
My mum noticed lots of damage to the wooden worktops in her kitchen and it turns out that was from Fairy washing up liquid. Turns out it eats the laquer so I wouldn't fancy getting it on my car paint work.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
6,960 Posts
My mum noticed lots of damage to the wooden worktops in her kitchen and it turns out that was from Fairy washing up liquid. Turns out it eats the laquer so I wouldn't fancy getting it on my car paint work.
I would not use it anywhere near my cars either :)

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
:D :D must be a girly thing :D :D as thats what i do lol
:lol: not so much girly as just lazy. I cba to measure out quantities and I like the smell of neat stuff. It's not THAT expensive so I just sling it all in neat. I figure it's my best bet in winter anyway :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep that's the one Ray. Found it very good certainly better than ordinary screenwash but I bet it freezes well.

Antifreeze in washer bottle hmmm I really do hope that's a joke as it WILL damage your paint simple as.

ive been doing it for years and no damage yet but then bird poo and the sun damages paintwork

1 - 20 of 28 Posts