MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righty then. Im getting a windstop made up for myself. The glas company i was using has let me down so im getting it produced from polycarbonate instead. 12mm thick so its going to be pretty much unbreakable. This is what the MGFcentre one is made from.

However this is going to be on some heavy duty friction adjustable hinges mounted to a support plate. It will also be clear instead of smoked.

To get these done as a production run of 10 is going to be quite cheap if anyones interested. About 70-80 quid all in.

Anyone fancy one. The outlay of 700+ quid is a bit of a thick one to stump up but if people would like one ill get a run done.

Anyone interested in time for summer.

Would take about 14 days to get produced.

Ill supply a drawing this evening. To get it done as a one off screen is about 120 quid but you could have whatever u want design wise.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Sounds good, only thing i can think of the the windstop should be angled around 10 degrees forwards as if vertical it can dazzle other drivers and even more disconcertingly, produce reflections of oncoming vehicles in your rear view mirror :scary:

Cars in front of you are reflected in the windstop to your rear view mirror making it appear that there are more cars behind you (travelling at odd rates) than there really are. Very off putting.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scarlet Fever said:
Sounds good, only thing i can think of the the windstop should be angled around 10 degrees forwards as if vertical it can dazzle other drivers and even more disconcertingly, produce reflections of oncoming vehicles in your rear view mirror :scary:

Cars in front of you are reflected in the windstop to your rear view mirror making it appear that there are more cars behind you (travelling at odd rates) than there really are. Very off putting.
Ahh well andy the hinge allows the windstop to be adjusted over 100deg +20 forward and -80 back. The hinge will allow for wear of the hinge and assembly. Coupled with brass bolts throughout the whole lot should last quite a while.

Oh and it is possible to get them done in coloured polycarb. ie smoked (or green or red) but again minimum run of 10 and it costs a bit more. With it being clear people can tint it themselves if they wish as some will want it clear.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scarlet Fever said:
Sounds like you have all the bases covered mate. Looking forward to seeing the photos. ;)
Aye well ive spent a month or so researching the best options

·
Registered
mg_tf
436 Posts
andy, during my many months spent at sea, i too have thought of this. I would be interested in one, especially if it would fit with X power roll hoops.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok then.

Heres a link to a quick mock-up I’ve done. Save as and run the exe to get the viewer. You can then play with it at your leisure. Just a few notes. No bolts, fixings or gaskets shown. The thickness of the poly is because of the hinges. Its not a rigid as glass and so to allow one handed operation the thickness is required. If you look at the MGFcentre one it wouldn’t allow it to be hinged unless the hinges were quite loose. On the + note this screen would take a 12 bore without a problem 

Installation via the two mounting screws for the clips on the T-bar. New HT screws would be provided as I do not know the grade of the installed ones.

Interested in any info. Anything you can improve on let me know. Not wanting to make any money outta this just get something that I want and if anyone else wants one in the meantime that’s a bonus.

http://www.andyonthe.net/mgtf/windstopbasic.zip

run the exe and click play

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope. Its a complete new assembly shown.

However i could get a bracket made to fit the existing MGR winstop bracket and a screen. However i would expect the fabrication of the bracket alone would be in the regon of 50 quid. + i would need your current brackets to ensure it all fitted.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its called solid works :D

Its like a WORKING version of MD. An easier to use version of ProE (but not as powerful) or a mecanical version of solid edge. Basically everything I want. You want to see some of the stuff it does. From parts to working drawings in under 5 mins!!!!! FEA is a bit poor though.

Anyways these windstops :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts