MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello there peeps

As the title would suggest the windscreen washers have gone a little haywire on my car. Its a 1996 Rover 220 SDi.

Now when they did squirt water it wouldnt go very far up the screen anyway, it was like there wasnt pressure behind it, but it did the job.

However the other day when i tried to squirt water out the wipers went accross the windscreen automatically as they do but no water actually came out. I have topped the windscreen wash tank to the full but still only the wipers are working when i pull back the stalk in the car, there is no water coming out.

If its the motor thats packed up how do i go about checking for this and is it easy to replace it.

My first reaction was to check the fuse's but theres nothing under the bonnet, and i cant find the fuses inside the car.

Any one be kind enough to point me in the right direction please?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
IIRC the water bottle is in the wing on a 200? its been a while since i looked under the bonnet of one! :lol:

There is a little pump on the side of the tank, this could be the problem, as it sounds like its not pumping the water.

HTH

Stuart

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Stu

Does this little pump run off a fuse? If so where is it?

Il prolly get round to checking it on Sunday to see if its pumping or not but is there any way to test it? (other than it not working of course)!

And how much of a bugger is it to replace this?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
erm, i dont think it runs off a fuse, regards to testing id say that there isnt anything to test as no water is being pumped at all (can you hear anything like a motor wirring or soemthing?)

Not a major job to get the little pump off, dont know how much they are brand new like, but iirc halfords and motor factors sell them :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant actually hearing a motor wirring as you would normally associate with the pump.

But il prolly get round to getting underneath it tomorrow to see what i can see.

P.S. Thanks for pointing me towards the Diesel forums and sorry for the messup in the first post. Thanks for editing it.

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
W4SIM said:
I cant actually hearing a motor wirring as you would normally associate with the pump.

But il prolly get round to getting underneath it tomorrow to see what i can see.

P.S. Thanks for pointing me towards the Diesel forums and sorry for the messup in the first post. Thanks for editing it.

Cheers mate.
No problem, if you have haynes or something like that it will tell you where it is i should imagine. I know like mine for example its in the wing, and i just have to take the bumper off to get to it... or the arch liner either/or really.

Hope you get it fixed!

Regards, Stuart

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Check fuses 15 and 17, although these also supply other circuits so they are unlikely to have blown.

Rather than removing the bumper or stripping out the wheel arch liner it is possible to gain access to the washer tank/pumps by doing the following..

The tank is mounted behind the drivers side foglamp, there are three screws that fix the wheel arch liner to the lip of the bumper. If you remove these you can peel the liner down and reach up to the tank.

The pumps are held in position by simply being pushed into a curved recess in the tank and are sealed with a rubber grommet.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
If you can not hear the pump wherring/whizzing/making a noise, then I would check the fuse (if its run on a fuse?). If not then the pump has had it most likely.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
technozen said:
Check fuses 15 and 17, although these also supply other circuits so they are unlikely to have blown.

Rather than removing the bumper or stripping out the wheel arch liner it is possible to gain access to the washer tank/pumps by doing the following..

The tank is mounted behind the drivers side foglamp, there are three screws that fix the wheel arch liner to the lip of the bumper. If you remove these you can peel the liner down and reach up to the tank.

The pumps are held in position by simply being pushed into a curved recess in the tank and are sealed with a rubber grommet.

Cheers for that mate, will get down to it sometime this week as the weekend had other plans for me.

Regards to fuse's 15 and 17, where do i find them? Where are the internal fuses located on the 220SDi?

And here's a twist, the back wash wipe has never worked in the sense that no water has ever come out of there but the wiper will wipe. However i was testing it out properly yesterday while i was still stood outside the car and although no water came out of the back, as usual, it was actually making a whirring sound like the pump was kicking in. Unfortunatly there was no such sound when i did the fronts.

To add to the problem my bootlid now wont open, despite the fact that i can actually hear the lock locking and unlocking. FFS!!!

Is the Rover starting to show its true colours now or wot?

Cheers.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
technozen said:

I would personally find it much easier to remove the bumper, its an easy job to do in itself and will make getting to the washer an awful lot easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
there may be a leak in the system, before investing money:

1) check your motors working
2) hold the motor on for 30 secs then look for leaks under the car it maybe that a pipe has poped off somewhere in the system
3) maybe there is a blockage in the sytem ? check the piping under the engine bay its all push fit connections
4) see disconnect the hose at the tank see if you can blow some through with your mouth? ? - worth a shot ? if you get spray then you know your motor mechanism is wrong, so prob best to whip it out and inspect.

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts