MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving through France yesterday I picked up a small chip in my windscreen in the centre where the wiper blades go maybe a couple of millimetres wide and maybe a centimetre high. I actually first thought it was a squashed insect.

I am aware that a car can fail an MoT on a windscreen chip. I have also heard that windscreen chips can be repaired, though it doesn't look like my new insurance covers such repairs (unlike some :doh:)

What are the zones and criteria that are used? Might the chip get worse or lead to a crack?

My windscreen excess is at least £75 and may be £135, as an amount of £60 is also mentioned.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi, a couple of weeks ago i had my windscreen cracked by a stone. It started initially as a small crack and very quickly grew to a crack right across the windscreen.

It doesn't sound like yours is as severe but repairing a crack isn't as expensive as you might think.

Shop around but you should be able to have the chip repaired for less than your excess (75). Could possible get it repaired for less than 50.

Good luck but make sure you shop around I found a difference of 50 quid between companies.

I might stand corrected on this but I believe that if the chip is bigger than a 5 pence piece then it needs repaired.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I've gone through MOT's with bigger and more chips than this (Mondeo's seem to like to collect them), none of them were in the drivers direct view.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've gone through MOT's with bigger and more chips than this (Mondeo's seem to like to collect them), none of them were in the drivers direct view.
From the link it's in area B where a chip bigger than 40mm is a fail. As 40mm is 4cm that is much bigger than this chip.

Any ideas on glass companies? I see "Glass Doctors" there...

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
I got a chip repaired by Autoglass last summer in the 350Z and wasn't impressed as you could still see it.

If the XS is £75, most are that or £60 then I would just get a new screen.

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got a chip repaired by Autoglass last summer in the 350Z and wasn't impressed as you could still see it.

If the XS is £75, most are that or £60 then I would just get a new screen.
I'm having the car serviced next month so maybe I should ask if it is likely to be an issue then before the MoT. As I said, I wouldn't know it was there if I hadn't found one insect wouldn't clean off...but obviously if the damage looks like getting worse (it's more of a scuff) then maybe I should look at doing that, no point messing with safety...

EDIT the chip is much smaller than I thought, two "scuffs" each of which could easily be covered by a new 5p piece.

From the "similar threads" here I note that KwikFit offered to do it for one member here for around £30...

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,512 Posts
get Gavin from autoglass to inject you with his 'special resin' :).
I filled in the form to get them to come out to mine but they called up and said they couldnt because the chips were too small, bleeding ridiculous! They said if I wanted them doing I would have to go into the depot and they would have a look, or get a replacement windscreen..********s!

I told them I would use another company instead haha!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Driving through France yesterday I picked up a small chip in my windscreen in the centre where the wiper blades go maybe a couple of millimetres wide and maybe a centimetre high. I actually first thought it was a squashed insect.

I am aware that a car can fail an MoT on a windscreen chip. I have also heard that windscreen chips can be repaired, though it doesn't look like my new insurance covers such repairs (unlike some :doh:)

What are the zones and criteria that are used? Might the chip get worse or lead to a crack?

My windscreen excess is at least £75 and may be £135, as an amount of £60 is also mentioned.
why not just give your insurance company a call and ask what the excess is for repairs rather than replacements? Then you'll know for sure

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
get it repaired,i left one like yours for ages,it developed a tiny crack line with time,the day I was getting it changed luckily enough,it cracked full width of the screen with no real reason i.e potholes etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts